Sign in to follow this  

Alaska?

I've just flown my Cheyenne from Seattle to Homer (although towards the end of the flight I was nervously watching my fuel level ;)), and I now plan to take the Super Cub for some sightseeing around Alaska.I'm not familiar with Alaska, so could anybody tell me of any places that are worth visiting? Any interesting airstrips? Any good sceneries that are worth downloading?Cheers.

Hey Nick, AK is a great place to fly! There is a good freeware mesh from Ed Denny for FS2000 that works great with FS2002, adds quite a bit to the experience. I think AK has more addon scenery than any other area, look for names in the library from Frank Betts, Don Moser, Dave Erickson (sp??), Joe Watson, and I have a few of my own, look for the HANKS.zip for my lastest AK one, it is SE of PAJN. I fly for 2 VAs stationed in AK, great stuff! Hope this helpsRegards, Michael

Best, Michael

KDFW

Thanks Michael! I already have Eddie Denney's Realscene terrain mesh installed, so I've got the mesh part covered at least :)I'm actually expecting my TrackIR to arrive tomorrow, so I'm planning to take a tour of Alaska to try it out.Cheers.

Guest Lindy

Is there any Alaska scenery?????? I'll say there's scenery. In addition to what Mike mentioned, look for the names Tom Fica and Naji (sorry I can't spell his last name, but how many "Naji"s are you going to find in the Library? :-lol )Good luck and enjoy your sight seeing.-Lindy :-wave

Guest Lizardo

And forums too..just here at Avsim, "Bush Flying Unlimited" and "Bush Pilot Forum/Alaskan Bush Charters".

DOH![/font size=]Sorry Tom and Naji, for leaving you guys off!Thanks for pointing that out Lindy!Regards, Michael

Best, Michael

KDFW

Watch out! Once you start to fly in Alaska, you'll never leave! In my Alaska Bush Charters area on my site, I have almost 50 different locations for FS2002. All those fine folks mentioned above have a great selection too of sceneries also. Get them all and save yourself time later. You'll be there for a while! :)Don

jerrycwo4Go to Avsim's file library and type: akcm9.zipinto the "search for"it's about 50 sceneries by Dave Erickson. I did the map below for him and it has more airports that you would ever fly too.jerry

Another nice little addon is: akcities.zip.Plus, if you get into making AI traffic for Alaska, there are some AFCAD files for Alaska.As you can gather from the responses, there is ton of great flying you can do in Alaska. As I write, I'm en route from Valdez to Kodiak. My flight plan takes me over Homer. Maybe if I squint, I can see you on the ground! :-lol -Basil

I've loaded ED Denny's Alaska scenery mesh for FS2K2, but I keep getting a "Scenery Config" error for that Add-On scenery when I start FS2K2. I did notice that there is no Scenery.cfg file in the folder with the Scenery and Texture folders. Is that what is causing the error? How is that created? I would love to get it loaded. Any suggestions?Keith

Nick,Canada and Alaska probably have more scenery addons available than anywhere else in the world, plus you've got the addition of available aircraft (freeware) that fit every mood as well.Check out my feature article on flying the Great North and there you will find links to enough aircraft and scenery to keep you sufficiently busy for the next few weeks or months.http://www.avsim.com/pages/1102/bush_adven...ush_flying.htmlBear!

Eddie Denney's Alaska Terrain Mesh has 16 files. Does anyone know which file has the Juneau bgl file which is the one I am interested in?