Sign in to follow this  
Guest RiddlePilot

Cooling for a XP2700+

Guest BAW083

Whilst ASUSTeK Probe telsl me i'm ok, the temp. readout from the CMOS tell a different story.The CPU temperature often reads 63'C after being under load (ASUS Probe usually states around 53'C after an hour on Grand Prix 4).I read a CPU temp. of around 65+ should really be met by some action.Not sure what fan i have at the minute but was wondering if anyone could recommend a fan etc.I've been looking at Thermaltake's Volcano 9 but is this sufficient?

HiASUS probe is giving me a reading of 67C on my Athlon 1900+ at the moment... and I'm doing nothing other than typing this reply! I should add that I've had this PC for almost 2 years now and never had any problems with the CPU!!ASUS probe does over state the CPU temperature but if you are worried and would like a good cooler, try this sitehttp://www.overclockers.co.uk/You'll find a good quality cooler for your CPU there.CheersMurphy

Guest SoarPics

Hi Chris,ASUS Prove gives low readings on all A7N8X boards. Mine shows 36C in Probe, 46C in the BIOS (1002.001) at an ambient room temp of 21.1C. Under load, my temps increase 3-4C. The BIOS reading is probably closer because it takes it's readings directly from the die. Probe takes it's readings through a diode off die. It must exptrapolate it's readings (and all extapolations are subject to manipulation). That being said, the BIOS must also extrapolate, but the source reading is more accurate.Regarding fans/heatsinks, both AMD and Intel offer minimal solutions here. Their parameters include cost, cooling effect, noise etc. I always run an aftermarket fan and heatsink on my systems. I've been quite happy with Coolermaster's HHC-001 Heat Pipe. I also replaced it's 7000 RPM fan (loud) with a standard 80mm x 80mm case fan mounted to the heatsink via a 60mm to 80mm adapter. Both the stock fan and the 80mm fan move 35.5 CFM, but the larger fan does it by turning a silent 2700RPM.Costs for comparison purposes:The Coolermaster Heat Pipe costs $26.00US at Newegg.comThe 60mm to 80mm adapter costs $4.95US at CompUSA (it's plastic, but works perfectly).The fan cost $8.00US at Fry's.I'm running the above setup on both computers here, and they are quiet and cool. Mine is a system almost identical to yours (I'm running a XP2400 at XP2700 speeds). My wife's computer is a Tbird 1.4 (a great heater lol) on an A7M266, 512MB PC2100, 30G harddrive, GF3 Ti200. Mine is in a Lian-Li case, hers in a Coolermaster ATC case.Hope this helps,

Guest Matt Johnson

Get AIDA32 -- it's a free download, google for it.One of the figures is for the CPU diode, the other is for the onboard Athlon sensor. If the onboard sensor is lower than the diode, you need to upgrade your BIOS.(I know this from bitter experience... Athlon 2200+ with A7V8X :))--M

I'd use a thermal grease as well as that cooler. The stuff works!Check out my Thermal Grease/Paste post. The readings were taken from the BIOS screen. My new cooler fan runs at around 3,800 RPM on this large heatsink (the one that came with my PowerLeap CPU)as compared to the one that I replaced (small sized Intel) which ran at around 5,000 RPM but with a heatsink three times less in square CM surface than what I have now.A large(er) heatsink and Thermal Paste combo will certainly bring that boiler of yours down!~ :)Cheers!Mitch

Guest RiddlePilot

I've got an XP1800+ and BIOS shows 63 right from the boot. I stopped worrying about it long ago because I've never had a single lock-up. I've tried thermal compound and those sticky squares, and nothing makes a difference, so I'm thinking its the probe.Using a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP