Sign in to follow this  
Guest RiddlePilot

O/T Car trip and would ask a favor

Guest Lindy

A friend and I are taking a car trip from Virginia to Omaha, Nebraska. We'll be leaving on Saturday, February 1. Our route will take us across Virginia State, through the south end of West Virginia, through parts of Kentucky; to St. Louis, Kansas City and into Omaha.The favor? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who lives along the way regarding the weather we might encounter....... or at least what the weather is USUALLY like during this time of year. I'm going to Omaha to help my mom celebrate her 89th birthday. We haven't seen each other in a while, and it's gonna be a surprise!Thanks in advance.-Lindy :-wave

That's great, Lindy! Tell your mom I said "happy birthday"!Dewey

I can't help you with the WX but if you take Interstate 81 keep a look out for Mountain Empire airport. It is west of Roanoke and runs right beside the interstate. It is a great little field that has a serious downhill slope to it. Oh yea, and Happy Birthday to your Mom!http://www.ktone.org/images/FSD_ken.jpg

Hi Lindy, hope I might be of help (at least a little). I live in the Des Moines area, and although thats about 3 hours north of your closest point to my position, I can tell you it is COLD!!!! It really hasnt snowed much this winter and I dont expect it to, but you never know. I think from this area to at least down into KC just has a dusting of snow. In my opinion your travel around this part of the country should be uneventful, but you never know.Craig

Hello Lindy I can verify as fact Craig's statement about the cold temps. I live in Lincoln, Nebraska which is 40 miles SE of Omaha (don't hate me because I'm in Husker country). The good news is by the time you get here the wx guys are talking lower to mid 40's for highs, which beats the current 11 by a ways. Craig, I thought I was the only simmer in the Midwest. Do fly in the real world, and where from Des Moines are you?

Hey Bryan, I infact do fly in the real world. I just got my instrument rating Thrusday and am continuing on with my commercial, CFI, CFII, blah blah blah. I live just north of Des Moines near Ankeny, and fly out of Ankeny Regional (IKV). It looks like you're a CFI, so how's the CFI work down there?Craig

Hello Lindy,Haven't talked to you since Pro Pilot days. :)This time of the year is generally the coldest part of the year of course, Out of St. Louis to Kansas City to Omaha, it can get very cold sometimes below 0F and expect a fair amount of wind. The roads are good, (Interstate all the way), and you shouldn't have much trouble, if a sudden winter storm does apear, it usually doesn't last over a couple of days. The road crews in all of these states do a pretty good job of keeping the major arteries open. I doubt if you would have to shut down or hole up in a motel for more than a day, at the worst. Watch the Weather Channel, for the last 2 or 3 days before your trip.I currently live in Oklahoma City, we have experienced an unusually mild winter so far this year, which doesn't hurt my feeling all that much. :DGood Luck

Lindy, as a transplanted Hawkeye(live in MA now) I would agree with theothers that if you keep an eye on the weather channel when you stop you should be able to anticipate conditions all right. However, for the Midwestern part of the trip anyway be ready for some winds and perhaps blowing snow. It can begin snaking across the road making it hard to see the guide lines, even if its not snowing at the moment. That aside, just normal winter fun.JimL

Craig, I don't instruct anymore, I did that when I got done with Flight Safety down in Vero Beach. Now days I fly out of Crete (southwest of Lincoln 25 miles)for the local bunch of skydivers. I have my own business now but recently ran into an old friend who flys for United but previously flew for Great Lakes, he "walked" my resume into them, Great Lakes I mean. We'll see how that goes.

Great Lakes makes a stop in Waterloo every day. Havent seen much of their operation or heard anything, but their equipment and aircraft didnt look like anything to write home about. Good luck with that, though.Craig

Like the rest of the Midwesterners have been saying it's cold! Earlier this week it was sub zero temps in St. Louis, but a warm front is moving through this week. So for your Saturday pass through St. Louis they are saying partly cloudy with a high of 48 and oddly enough a low of 47. Looks like you'll stay out of the snow for this trip ;)Jason

Don't forget to stop at the new SAC museum - just off interstate 80. I visited the old one which was a real treat. I had never to that day seen a B-36 Peacmaker and a BUFF B-52 up close. Wow, big airplanes!I know they moved to a beautiful new building. I've seen architectural drawings (I'm a fundraiser who raises money for new museums and the like) and they were on my radar for a while as prospective clients. Have a good trip.

Guest RiddlePilot

Pray that Afton Mountain isn't fogged over. They've had 20-40 car pile ups in the past.