Sign in to follow this  

GForce FX impression from tomshardware.com

Guest PaulL01

Careful Panzer,If your case is not adequately cooled it will build up a lot of heat and the system may become unstable.I use Dynamat BTW but also have a good Antec case with 3 quite panaflo exhaust fans, one slot exhaust fan in a PCI slot just below my GF4 (ala GFFX) and it has three panaflo intake fans, all running nice and quite.I will not be running a GFFX, at least not with the current cooling solution.Regards

Guest PaulL01

Elrond!Nice Take on the GFFX, and as always good to hear from you. :)I sure could have used your expertise last week as I tried to jump from the EP-8k3a(KT333) to an Asus-A7n8x-delux(nFII) on win98SE, I really was hoping to be successful in doing the swap without a OS re-install as I have done this several times using various methods, such as uninstalling the VIA drivers, remove the ENUM key in the registry , swap and reboot, but no matter, this board just doesn't like win98, so I have an XP box now. (another sucker, I should have at least looked around for copy of win2k)XP and the new Nforce boards are a real match made in heaven though, everything actualy works and there is a lot there, this will be "the box" for a while. :)

Actually, I thought the excruciating high pitch whine of the GF-FX rang a bell!Listen to this MP3:http://www.arocsd.org/Chauffe2.mp3(warning: turn down your speakers - this is recorded VERY LOUD)Then compare it to the GF-FX running 3dMark for a second and quitting back to the desktop:http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/200301...x-3dmark-hq.mp3The first is the sound of a "10-cylinder, 750 horsepower Asiatech F1 engine being warmed up. Then it performs a rousing version of When The Saints Come Marching In"!Actually, I think the high pitched, annoying whine of the GF-FX is *worse* than the F1 warming up... Not to mention it makes better music! **shudder**LOLElrond

I'll just repeat what I said several months ago: The GeforceFX does not offer any improvements to make it worth upgrading if you already have a high-end card such as the Radeon 9700 Pro.Only difference is last time I said that, I had no real benchmarks to back it up with, so people called me a liar and said I was wrong...everyone was convinced the card would be twice as fast as the 9700 Pro and suddenly every single game would become photoreal......If you're just about to upgrade your videocard now, it's a tough choice between the GFFX and Radeon 9700 Pro. The R9700 Pro seems to still perform the best when anisotropic filtering and FSAA are in use, while the GFFX is ahead by a few FPS when using normal settings. I doubt you'd see much of a difference at all in a CPU limited case such as FS2002. If the card is to be used for flightsims, I would go with the 9700 Pro for the better image quality.If you plan on using the card for more than FS, I would suggest waiting to see if Nvidia can push out a few extra FPS by improving the drivers, and maybe ATI releases the R350.Look at it from the bright side, you no longer need a soundcard for FS2002, because the videocard cooler will sound like a jet engine :-lol

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I very recently purchased a new system from Hypersonic PC with an Nvidia TI-4600 and was not at all happy with the image quality or the speed when using even 2X AA and 2X AF and 1024x768x32. Tried an ATI-built 9700 Pro from a local retailer and WOW! What a difference in speed and image quality! Hypersonic recommended the Hercules version of the card and I definitely recommend it over the ATI version. It is much better cooled with many copper heat sinks in addition to the copper fan. And I hear no increase in noise level over the TI-4600. If you're building a new system, I would also highly recommend the case I purchased which, although not cheap, it's very cool and quiet. It's the Cooler Master ATC 201. I was really worried about noise with the combination of the two 80mm case fans, the standard Intel P4 cooling fan, the Hercules ATI 9700 Pro fan and the Enermax 350W power supply, but the noise level is quite acceptable. Not as quiet as a Dell, but much quieter than an Alienware and others that I've heard. Just mho and a few more ideas for you to consider.Ohhh..it was after reading the Tom's Hardware article that I decided to upgrade to the 9700 Pro rather than wait for the GeForce FX. I know I could save $$ by waiting for the price drop, but I just couldn't tolerate the TI-4600 image quality. I'm just too darn fussy.

Hey Dawg... Good to read you too - its been a while.All I can say is: even if I had been around to help with the 98 transfer, I'd have played Quayle schtoopid just to get you off that Devil Spawn OS. :-lol I hope GNU/Linux has a partition on there somewhere too now!Seriously, I'm happy to hear you dig your new digs. Indeed, I too have had nothing but success with that almost perfect board to date - both at home and at work. Finally, the nForce makes its mark! Now, if they'd just redesign the audio DSP's for 7.1, 24/192 and high quality DACs... It'd be purrrfect.Take care Paul,Elrond