Sign in to follow this  
amollen

Slowing down from supersonic

I've been trying to slow down the Concorde after a supersonic flight according to "the book", this is what I do:- at the Decel point, pull back the power to 18 degrees, maintaining altitude (usually FL 600)- once the plane hits 350 kts IAS, I press the IAS HOLD on the autopilot (not the autothrottle) which will cause the plane to start descending at about 2000ft/min maintaining around 350 kts- once going Mach 1.5 I further reduce power to 32 degrees as the manual describes- I level off at "normal airliner" altitude and wait until I am subsonic, after which I continue a more normal descent.The problem is, when following the manual, it takes forever to slow to Mach 1.5 so I have to cut power sooner if I don't want to overshoot my destination. It's no big deal but I like things to be as realistic as possible, so I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong or if I should just ignore this little discrepency.

Guest Fortress

If you're following the by-the-book TLA's, a good rule of thumb used in the R/W is to take the digit after the decimal on the Mach Meter, multiply by 10 and this is a good indicator to how many nautical miles you'll take to slow to Mach 1. So M1.5 = 50nmCheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/conc_capt_ba.jpgConcorde Training Captainwww.BAVirtual.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.