Sign in to follow this  
Guest poschrob

Speed restrictions

Guest poschrob

Hi!Could anyone answer me if the Concorde also had the same speed restriction (250 kts) below 10.000 ft as subsonic aircrafts? Or was this subject of noise abatement procedures?The tutorial says to turn on AT1 after reaching 4000 ft with 400 kts set in the AFCS.I'm just asking it because I don't want ATC get crazy when I fly online;)regardsRobert

In the UK there was not a blanket 250 kias spped restriction. If other traffic permitted atc would allow concorde to accellerate to subsonic cruise speed from below 10,000 feet.When returning from the NY it would be ver the sea very quickly, so i guess this would allow it to accelerate earlier too.

Peter Schluter

poschrob,Could anyone answer me if the Concorde also had the same speed restriction (250 kts) below 10.000 ft as subsonic aircrafts?Not for departures. Complex procedures were used to ensure that the aircraft maintained the appropriate lateral and vertical profiles for the designated departure and to also ensure the noise footprint was minimal. This not only required pitching the aircraft to the correct attitudes, but also throttling to a number of predefined/calculated settings during the initial climb out that would provide the optimum climb performance whilst conforming to noise abatement restrictions. Air Traffic Control was usually aware of the aircrafts unique requirements and would cancel any speed control above 5000ft when departing in a noise sensitive area. The pitch attitude was then lowered and the aircraft was allowed to accelerate towards its optimum climb speed, VMO. The Autothrottles would then be primed at a later stage in the climb if a subsonic cruise was required before the acceleration climb to Mach 2.00. If a continuous climb was approved, there would be no need to engage an Autothrottle until Mach 1.70, instead the throttles would be kept at the forwards stops providing Maximum Continuous Power. When flying into New York JFK, it was necessary to slow to 250kts when within 12Nm of the coastline. When flying into London Heathrow however, the requirement was to be 250kts when at Ockham or Biggin, which was accomplished by initiating the deceleration from 350Kts to 250Kts 7Nm inbound to either facility.

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.