Sign in to follow this  
Guest LVRCLB

Loss of engine power

Guest LVRCLB

Hi!I recently bought the Just Flight limited boxed version of the PSS Concorde. So, I just flew the LHR-JFK route with it and after about 1:30h, at FL560, all N2 indications dropped to 68% and so the airspeed decreased rapidly and I had to start a steep descent in order to stay in the air. I tried everything to get the engines to 105% N2 again, switched the Throttle Master switches from Main to Altern and Off, had a look at the Engine Control Schedule and noticed that it indicated "MID" and couldn't be set to HI again. I absolutely followed the tutorial, or at least I hope so ;)After some minutes, I regained control over the engines again and everything worked perfectly all the way to New York. Now I'd like to know what had caused this and how to avoid it in future, so that I can enjoy this great aircraft fully!Many thanks for your help in advance...Michi

Guest Gordius

It is possible that it has nothing to do with the Concorde but I would love to know the answer. This same thing has happened to myself and some others while crossing the Atlantic (sudden loss of power etc) on Concorde and some other aurcraft (not all). In fact some of us (friends at IVAO) have named the area the "Concorde Triangle". It has happened to me many times. Well done for recovering by the way, I crashed the first time it happened to me.NOTE: Most of the time it is only Comcorde perhaps because of FL or maybe it simply reacts more violently because of its speed?The closest I have been able to come up with is that when you leave Europe winds are often not from the the West but tend to blow wherever the mood takes them. At a point over the Pond winds change sometimes instantly to blowing from West to East (as they should). The only explanation I have for that sudden shift is the obvious lack of weather stations.I now prepare myself by carefully watching the instruments. As soon as the speed starts to drop descend if you wait too long you might have to drop as low as FL10. Forget the afterburners they do not help. If autothrottle is on turn it off. Set engine start switches to reignite (dunno if that does anything but gives you something to do), forget about any throttle you have and keep your finger on F3. The most important thing is not to let the nose start to turn up as that will cause you to stall very quickly use nose pitch as a guide for your rate of descent keeping it around zero if you can, rate of descent has been known to be 6000fpm!I am very sorry that the above reads a little garbled but I/we have been trying to answer your question for a long time :-)I am flying EGLL to KJFK as the first leg of a RTW on IVAO at 1000Z tomorrow (29th) feel free to join us. If not feel free to join in any leg over the three days. See my website and/or the IVAO Events Forum. Perhaps I/we can help you through the start of your learning process?Andrew Brownhttp://www.crazypilots.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/192029.png

Guest LVRCLB

Hi Andrew!Thanks for your reply. At least I'm not the only one with this problem ;) Since I don't use any weather tools at all, this shouldn't have caused it, and since the airspeed doesn't simply decrease without any reason but due to the reduction of N2 to idle, this shouldn't be a weather problem. I've crossed the atlantic a dozen times (using A343, B763 etc.) but this has never happened to me. I'm quite confused...:-roll Unfortunately, I'll be busy over the next few days, so you have to do your RTW without me, sorry...:-roll So, if you want to go to JFK without crashing, you "just" have to take the other way round - eastward?? ;-) Could be fun, anyway...but it's a pity because the JFK-route is the most realistic one...Thanks for your help, anyway!

Guest Gordius

>Since I don't use any weather tools at all, this>shouldn't have caused it, and since the airspeed doesn't>simply decrease without any reason but due to the reduction of>N2 to idle, this shouldn't be a weather problem.A few things here. METAR in Ireland, METAR in Canada and METAR in that triangle bit to North (ggrrrr mind has gone blank re name).Ireland winds 090/50Canada 270/120Triangle thing to the North :-) 180/30Roughly speaking those are the METAR Stations that MSFS has to work with. Somehow it must pull information from all three. At some point after leaving Ireland winds change from 090/50 to 270/120 while still taking account of 180/30 - that is the shift I am talking about, transition from one wind direction to another has to happen at some point and if that is a dramatic change then ....Never had it overland where there are more METAR stations.I don't use weather addons either. Don't tell anyone but I am the guy that doesn't like Activesky, shhhh! Maybe I should try several crossings using different weather schemes though, hmmm.I know what you mean re the N2 thing. I'm just trying not to discard any possibilities :-)>I've crossed>the atlantic a dozen times (using A343, B763 etc.) but this>has never happened to me. Ever flown at FL360 when winds start changing back and forth in direction or varying a lot in speed over land or sea and seen the overspeed message pop up? I have and what I am flying makes no difference at all. Concorde's wings etc do not provide much lift (try gliding) and flies at greater altitudes and speeds so the effects of a shift in winds which might be blowing at very high speeds and shifting direction a lot (say 270/120 and 180/50 had that before) MIGHT affect Concorde more than most such as the T7.One point here. Seems to be a greater chance of it happening the higher you go.>I'm quite confused...:-roll Welcome to the club :-)>Unfortunately, I'll be busy over the next few days, so you>have to do your RTW without me, sorry...:-rollEnjoy yourself at all times. In the "air" or on the "ground" makes no difference, makes for a good life :-)Unfortunately had it worse than ever before yesterday. 3 times crossing Atlantic and 2 times between Vancouver and Hawaii hehehe.BUT I am now proud to say that I have beaten my record and recovered withing less than 3,000 feet :-)>So, if you want to go to JFK without crashing, you "just" have>to take the other way round - eastward?? ;-) Could be fun,>anyway...but it's a pity because the JFK-route is the most>realistic one...Happens in both directions :-( I wonder what happens North <--> South, hmmmm.>Thanks for your help, anyway!Pure selfishness on my part lol. I just love seeing my name in print :-D Also interesting to see yet another join the "Concorde Triangle Club" :-)I hope you have a great New Year. I have smuggled a bottle of Newcastle Brown (beer) on board and will be joined by others at IVAO I hope you enjoy the celebrations too. I hope my ramblings don't put you off flying Concorde I have at least 200 hours in here and never tire of her, only problem is where to go next. ATC on IVAO have got to know me quite well thanks to my bouncing back and forth over the Atlantic (still haven't got TOD right though maybe it is just 50nm from landing then idle throttle, nose down and close you eyes lol).Andrew Brown :-beerchughttp://www.crazypilots.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/192029.png

Guest AF011

:- I am having this same problem on BAW charter flight 9072C from Atlanta to Heathrow. I am using FS NAV once airborne, with the only setting being Set and Hold Heading, and all the others set to Manual. I disconnect from VATISM to take care of other things in the house during the flight. Seems like things are going great after reaching the U.S. coast from Atlanta, and then climbing to altitude. Has quit at FL600 and at FL560. I don't think the real Concordes had this problem. This has to be an unintentional bug in the software. Any chance for a fix for this anytime soon? I appreciate all of the posts above! sincerely yours, Jim French, FrenchJim1@aol.com Dakota, IL USA

Guest NormanB

Jim, as per the other reply!

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.