Sign in to follow this  
svenks

Vertical Speed and Alt. Capture problem

Hi guys,I haven't had much time to fly the Concorde much after the latest patch, otherwise I would have reacted earlier. I have never seen it happen prior to the latest patch.Anyway: There seem to be a problem capturing the wanted altitude using vertical speed. What happens is this:Let's say I want ascend to 28000 ft, using vert speed 2000. I dial in 28000, press ALT ACQ, then VERT SPD and adjust the rate with the change datum switch. Everything looks fine, and as I approach 28000 VERT SPD decreases by itself as it should. But then it happens: As the A/P changes from ALT ACQ to ALT HLD, it seems like it looses control of VERT SPD, which continues below zero (FAST!) and I wind up in a steep dive. On descend, the opposite might happen: VERT SPD then becomes positive and instead of doing a nice capture, I end up going up again.I can't confirm it happens every time, but it's more often than not. Also, if I change altitude using PITCH HLD and then switch to VERT SPD as I approach my target altitude, the problem does not occur.Any thoughts?BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest a123456

I have the same problem. Are we doing something wrong?Alvaro

Guest a123456

maybe something to do with fsuipc 3.53. The plane still responds to the yoke with AT and AP on. Anything to do with the new setting THROTTLEn_SET in fsuipc?Alvaro

I don't THINK it has to do with FSUIPC, but you never know! I could try an earlier version of it, but how long back should I go? The latest patch did change the flight model (so we don't get those dratted MAX CLIMB overspeeds), and thank you for that!But to pinpoint the problem: If other people have the same problem, please step forth.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Yes, I get this but not consistently.I can't pin down the exact circumstances under which it occurs.__

--

Alan White

Phoenix, do you copy? :)There might be an issue here. Is it still possible to get the Concorde before the latest patch? That would make it very easy to verify.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest NormanB

Sven,I will fire up the Concorde tonight after I land at Paris (just departed Philly) and try this.I dont recall seeing anything with ALT ACQ a few days ago.

SvenWhen you are approaching your altitude (say 28,000 ft) in VS mode, what setting is the autothrottle in ? on/off /armed ?The correct method to climb to 28,000 in subsonic flight is to use either MAX CLB or IAS 395..... with the trottles at full climb thrust, and the autothrottle ARMED but not on.Peter

Peter Schluter

Guest a123456

I just found out what the problem was in my system. I have a homemade cockpit, which includes a full scale trim wheel conected to a potenciometer which is conected to a I/O card from www.opencockpits.comAs all pots have a little noise, the I/O card is continuously updating the trim position to FS2004 via FSUIPC offset.The A/P could not operate properly with the trim been updated all the time. I just modified the code that controls the i/o card to stop sending trim inputs when the a/t is on. Now everything works fine.If you have an analoge trim conected to a joystick axis you may try the option "Discon elev trim axis for AP" or "center elevator on AP alt change" in FSUIPC (registered).Alvaro

Hi PeterA/T typically ON, with IAS ACQ = 395 or so. And it may be an alternate method of getting to FL280, but that's the way I have always done it - also before the problem started occurring.Alvaro, I dont have a homemade cockpit, hence no 'pot noise'. But glad you have solved your problem:)Norman, any luck reproducing this?BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest NormanB

Sven,Ive had the Concorde on the ground ready to do a Singapore to Sydney run for about 13 hours today. Luckily the engines are not running. As soon as I get my kids to sleep Im off to break some virtual windows :)

Hi NormanHope you will only get Virtual trouble for breaking those windows :)BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest NormanB

Its virtually paused on climb - I figured they needed more time to find who broke the windows ;)

Well, Norman...Still virtually paused..??:)BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.