Sign in to follow this  
Guest DNovet

Thrust Drop at FL600

Guest DNovet

Hello everyone!As I started to fly this bird for long-haul's after I've flewn it for almost a year just across europe, I noticed a strange thing:Just when I reached FL600, my engines started a "roll-back", meaning they went down with power from 98% to around 80%, though the powerlevers remained at full thrust.Recycling powerlevers, afterburners, fuel crossfeed, any other system-changes did not help... :( Fuel, electrics, hydraulics, bleed, everything was running sweet, no faults or negative trends indicated.I remained at altitude while I fiddled the systems but started to descend when my airspeed dropped to around 250kts. As I descended to around FL550, the power came back, but to recover airspeed, I had to descend almost to FL410, where I was able to reinstate positive climb.The second time, I was able to restore power more quickly by descending almost immediately upon rollback, and was able to remain above FL500.This was the first time this happened on one of my flights.The first time, this happened when I just passed through FL610 and I noticed during "climb" the barber pole first coming down drastically from the usual to almost 300kts. As I descended through the same altitude, the barber-pole came back up again, so I consider it a Flightsim-phenomena.Second time I had the power rollback was on reinstated climb after the first time, but I hardly touched FL600 when engines went back to around 80%.I am still using the old ActiveSky version that was freeware, since I am still very satisfied by the performance...This is just for Info, since I heard/read about the "Concorde-Triangle", where you would encounter loss of lift in about the same heights... ;)Question from my side:Is this some kind of "it's not a bug, it's a feature"-thing on the flightsim's side (we're really pushing on its edges by flying that high and that fast, it wasn't made for it...)?Or is it Concorde's bug? Then it should be reproduceable by others...Or is it perhaps my fault, since I did two flights right after each other, withough reloading the plane...If there are any more witnesses, I'd be happy to hear about their situations and setups... :)Sincerely from Switzerland,Daniel

Guest NormanB

Daniel,Did you try the most simple things of reducing the throttles by a fraction before reapplying full throttle? I seem to recall that the real bird needed just that too.

Daniel,<>Concorde's ceiling was FL600 and this was only achieved rarely generally enroute to TBPB (Barbados) because of the relatively low temperatures in the atmosphere over the tropics.If you want to achieve more realism I suggest you maintain FL550-FL580 for your flights which would be closer to real world ops and this may help to alleviate some of the problems you experienced none of which I've personally experienced.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest DNovet

Ray,I did not work with altitude hold or vertical speed, I let the altitude settle by max cruise only...That's why I got up there... ;)And to be honest, I was not really into realism, I more just wanted to see what the max distance was... ;)by the way: I got promise that the fuel, pax and cargo-loader will be done definitely, the programmer just has to finish something else, I'll get back to you... :)Norman,Yep, I also tried recycling the throttles, since I first thought of a joystick-calib-problem... The power was simply limited to the values stated above, not an ounce more...Anyway, I tried to reproduce the fault, and I was not able to do so at any routing, any place and any time at all...Classical one-time-occurrence, where maintenance would write "unable to reproduce fault, system tested, satis." ;)So it appears to me, that it might have been induced by flying two legs straight after each other...Thank you guys anyway for the efforts...If I should get further findings, I'll get back here to let you know, of course... :)Cheers, DanielPS: I was able to try out the "new" Concorde from flight1/sstsim...My conclusion: PSS, I love your plane... ;)I rather have a "fully" functional panel (limitations mostly induced by the flightsim) with not so much exterior animation (which I cannot really influence directly)...Even some known bugs can't make me take anything else...Bravo!

Daniel,Thanks for your reply. I am into realism which is why I never climb higher than FL590 and even that is rare.Thanks for the news on the program. Look forward to seeing it.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest AF011

This is the second posting on this page about this problem.Are we saying the this Concorde won't fly on autopilot? As I am reading this, a pilot is going to have to sit here the whole time just to make sure that he doesn't lose his engines abuot half way into the flight? is that correct? The plane can't make it over the ocean by itself? Jim French, Dakota, ILlinois

Guest AF011

Today I flew the Paris to New York route and sure enough, FL 580 was about as high as the plane wanted to go. When I asked to move on up to FL 590 is did so, but the ground speed actually dropped as the MAch meter settled back at 1.98. I don't know if on a longer flight that would change or not. Also found that I had not been switching over to the VFE, Virtual Flight Engineer switch on the ground. I am sure that didn't help before! I am slowly regaining confidence after being away from the plane for two months. Jim French, Dakota, IL, USA

Guest NormanB

Jim,The autopilot works fine. The Virtual Flight Engineer though sometimes forgets to open some valves to move fuel around (typically around 2/3rds through a EGLL-KJFK flight).AT that stage of the flight a pilot doesnt have a whole lot to do so its simple enough to open the valve for him.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.