Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ruud op de Weegh

Max speed = 400kts only

Guest Ruud op de Weegh

Hello commanders!This wonderful Concorde! I made several flight now with the help of FSnavigator and it went all perfect!This morning, having holidays so don't worry :-), I prepared and are making my first flight without the help of FSNavigator, using it as a map only.Reading the manual line by line, I am flying now at FL510 being leveled but I am not able to increase the indicated speed more than 400kts, ground speed is approx 868 kts. Afterburners are de-activated.With FSNavigator I could reach a speed till approx 500 indicated without the afterburners!Activated are AT1, FD1, AP1 and activated lights are IAS HOLD, INS and ALT HOLD.There is a horizontal line through the speed select number (400).I am almost certain I am doing something wrong or I forgot something. Could you please help me?Thanks in advance!

Guest NormanB

Ruud,At FL510 you shouldnt care a dot what the IAS is. Fly mach and mach only.

Guest Ruud op de Weegh

Hi there!Now that's what I call a speedy answer!!>At FL510 you shouldnt care a dot what the IAS is. Fly mach>and mach only.But I can't get it faster and that is the problem. Without the help of FSNav it is impossible to get the bird faster that 400kts If I could I should say I can't get it faster than Mach 1.6What I did now is switch off AT1, increase the speed through FSnav and at the moment I reach the required speed, I switch off FSnav again, switch AT1 on again and there she goes... MACH 1.8But still the gauge (the gauge right under "autothrottle") is at 400kts and can't be increased.Thanks for your reply anyway!have a nice one!

Guest NormanB

Ruud,To be honest the autothrottles shouldnt be used until you want Mach / IAS hold, rather than aquire. Also make sure that the throttles really are wide open; retard them a little before pushing all the way forward again.

Guest Ruud op de Weegh

Hello Norman!>To be honest the autothrottles shouldnt be used until you want>Mach / IAS hold, rather than aquire. Also make sure that the>throttles really are wide open; retard them a little before>pushing all the way forward again.The only way to get the speed faster is the way I wrote before. Throttles first less than 50% (I am not quite sure because I don't fly at the moment) because the max speed below FL100 is 250 kts. Then above FL100 and land I keep the speed up to 300-310 kts. As soon as I am above the sea/ocean and above FL100, I increase the speed by changing the 310 kts indicator till the maximum of 400 kts. If I want to be faster at a higher altitude, I have to do it manually or with the use of FSnavigator. After reaching the required speed I activate the auto pilot with all other relevant switches included.The same with climbing and descending btw. I let the Concorde climb/descend manually with approx 2500 ft/min. Then I activate "Vertical speed". This never works smoothly of course because I have to search for the correct position of the joystick handle after de-activating it, before I reach the required vertical speed.Anyway, still a nice peace of software with a few strange deviating items. E.g. the standby engine pump switches are already in the on position when I want them to be on according to the manual. And at the very start they were off.Thanks for your reply Norman! It certainly gives me the feeling that attention is paid to other's problems.

Guest NormanB

Ruud,You have already identified the issue - our Concorde, like the real one, wont allow the autothrottles to attain more than 400KIAS. This is the very reason I say to not use the autothrottles but instead to open the throttles either on your joystick or by use of F4.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.