Sign in to follow this  

Joystick Problem

I just got a new computer with WindowsXP. The new operating system won't accept my SideWinder Precision Pro joystick software. I was using Windows98 on the old computer and everything worked fine. I tried finding new drivers through Microsoft's Site but couldn't find anything that referenced WindowsXP. Anyone else had this problem? If so how did you solve it.Thanks

Guest Eagle92395

If it's USB, it should work excellently under XP. Try using a different USB port, or restarting your computer first. Do you have SP-1 installed, if not, I'd try that too. That solved 2 USB problems for me when I installed it. If its a serial port connection, I'd assume the connection is on a sound card (like the SB Live/Audigy??), try updating those drivers. Here, they say that the older gameport versions won't be supported, although they should still work...http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewind...ate/default.asp

In regards to joysticks and XP. Do you know if an old MS Precision Pro stick willl work with XP?I plan on building a new system with XP and have 2 Precision Pro sticks,the older ones.Thanx.........OSU RULES!!!!!!=Swiv=

Microsoft says they are not supported in WinXP. Now I don't know if that means they won't automatically be recognized or that you cannot use them at all.I would think you might still be able to use them by selecting add, selecting a generic joystick that meets your requirements. Try hitting the Sidewinder (autodetect) and see if it finds the stick first. If not, try some of the generic settings.

I discovered this, to my cost, this weekend. XP WILL see the stick & you can even calibrate it BUT FS will NOT see the stick. You can fiddle around with drivers & stuff if you want but after wasting most of Saturday trying I gave in & bought a new USB stick (