Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Final (?) few problems with Concorde

I've had the Concorde for a few weeks now and find it has spoilt me for most of the other aircraft I fly in FS9! It responds beautifully and I don't get any failed flights any more, I always start up fine, taxi, get to FL580 at Mach 2 and then land - all in one piece. Well, that is the object, after all, I suppose.Still have a couple of small questions though, if anyone could kindly comment.1. At touchdown (usually about 170-175 KIAS), as soon as the back wheels touch the tarmac, the front wheel immediately slams down too. I don't get this with any other plane I fly, but with the Concorde it happens every time. I have no time to pull the nose up to stop it, as it is instantaneous with touchdown. Looks more like a bug to me than a flying problem?2. Doesn't Concorde have an autobrakes? Can't see one anywhere. I'm finding the plane a bit hard to stop before the end of the runway.Many thanks,Martin

Guest Bernie Rottweiler

Hello Martin,The Concorde has no "Autobrake System", but it uses a clever "Anti Skid System" which monitors the rotation of the main wheels and the front/nose wheel, so that the brakes only apply (by feet through the pilot / stick forward while braking) when the main wheels and the nose wheel are rotating at the same speed. This prevents the nose from slamming down on the runway, should a pilot inadvertently put his feet hard on the brakes while the nose is still up "in the air".The "Anti Skid System" is "simulated" by the white lamps with the "R" on.Quite probably you know all these things from the manual or the excellent DVD.Let the Concorde fully Autoland and observe how "she" behaves.Does the nose come down more slowly then.My tip is to look carefully at the charts (landing speed / weight). 170KIAS seems a bit fast to me. (Of course all depends on the weight)I hope you can solve the problem (maybe with trim), but I re-read your post at this moment while I

Thanks for the comments Bernie.Yes, I have read up a bit about the anti-skid system, and also seen it explained in the two parts of the DVD (one of the most fascinating and informative a/c films I have ever seen): I am just so used to having autobrakes when I land. I guess the anti-skid acts as a virtual autobrake in any case.I will check speeds, but I would have thought that, if I were coming in a bit fast, that would slightly alleviate the problem of the nose-wheel slamming down like this: too slow a speed would make it worse. Whatever, I'll experiment a bit more with trim and so on, and will try a full autoland, but as I say, anything I do must be before the back wheels make contact with the ground or I have no time at all to do anything before 'bang' with the front gear.Regards,Martin

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.