Sign in to follow this  
Guest James French

INS How do I show the difference between waypoints 2 and 5?

Guest James French

How can I show the distance between waypoints 2 and 5, or 2 and 6, or say 1 and 3? I have read all of the INS instructions for the sample flight, and do not find it in there, and can not do it in the aircraft.

I doubt this was a feature of the real INS so it probably isn't modelled. You'll just have to add up the individual leg distances I'm afraid.Why would you need to?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest James French

Hello Ray, In some cases during Oceanic Position Reports, I have been asked to give my current position, and to say the ETA in Zulu time for the upcoming waypoint, as well as "NEXT" for the waypoint after that. That is what I was taught as the full method. The other reason of course is that I would like to know for my own information what is the ETA for New York, as well as the ETA for my next oceanic waypoint. Thanks for your help though. If adding things is the only way to do it, then I will just have to sharpen my pencil. :) Jim French Dakota, Illinois, USA

Hi Jim,I can see you're quite a serious pilot. I wasn't quite sure of this after reading your earlier messages. ;-) You have to remember that Concorde was in airspace all on its own up there at FL500 and higher. Special dispensation may have been given over more conventional aircraft. Certainly back in the days when it flew the instrumentation didn't feature all the modern aids found in a Boeing or Airbus glass cockpit but the INS was revolutionary at the time. The pilots simply had to work things out themselves.At Mach 2.0 Concorde travels at 23 miles a minute and the usual flight time for EGLL-KJFK was 3hrs 20mins gate to gate. I'm pretty sure the INS shows the time/distance to the next waypoint. It may be posible to show distance between future waypoints but I haven't investigated it myself.Nice to see Americans flying such a great icon!:-beerchug

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Bernie Rottweiler

Hello Jim,Try this: Select the DIS / TIME option on the INS CDU.Then push the WAYPT CHNG button and push for example 1, then 5 and then INSERT.You'll see the distance between WAYPT 1 and WAYPT 5.Do so for every Waypoints you are interested in.Best Regards,BernieP.S.: If you select the WAYPOINT feature instead of DIS / TIME with the turn-selector, then you are able to change navigation.For example: You want to fly from WYPT 3 direct to 8, push WYPT CHNG and then 3 and 8 and then INSERT.

Guest AF011

Hello Bernie, Thank you very much for this helpful method. I have been out of touch for a few months here on the forums, but will give it a try on my next Concorde flight. Looks good to me! :)

Guest AF011

Hello Ray, Meant to thank you earlier for the nice compliment. I fly the Concorde for British Airways Virtual, which has a number of "Chartered flights" that the Concorde might have flown, if given permission. I know I love to fly the Concorde into places along American shores where it is seldom seen on VATSIM these days, as long as the flights are legitimate routes from BAV. It is really a terrific feeling to see a dozen planes at Atlanta, Georgia, for example, just waiting there watching as you take off of in a Concorde. :-

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.