Sign in to follow this  

Can't download any files...please help.

Hi,I realise that there is a topic with just the same problem which has only recently been tackled, but would be really appreciative if someone could give me step by step instructions to decrease whatever security is blocking me from downloading anything other than drivers etc from the ATI and Creative websites.I received my new Dell 8300 just a week ago, and have not been able to download any files from places like Avsim, Melvin Rafi's site, or (dare I say it!) allnodesarebusy.com. I have not installed any form of firewall, and I am not aware of any that Dell pre-install, although despite asking about this at the Dell support forums I have so far received no reply.I have followed the instructions given to the person who had similar problems recently and posted in here, but still no success.This is really beginning to frustrate me, and I don't seem able to do anything about it.So if anyone would be kind enough to explain in as much detail as possible what I could maybe do to solve the problem (including the steps that I may or may not have already taken!), then I would be most appreciative.Kind regards,Al Summers.

Guest Ken_Salter

Did you see my reply about setting FTP transfers in Internet Explorer as Passive?Do you have a hardware firewall (i.e. router) that your computer connects to?I assume you are running Windows XP. Are you running with the software firewall enabled?http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"I am the keeper of the cheese; you are the lemon merchant"

Yes, I set the FTP to passive. I'm running XP Home Edition. Unfortunately I'm not to sure about your reference to a hardware firewall. And as for a software firewall, I'm not sure about that either. I asked about pre-installed firewalls at the Dell support forum, but no replies yet. Without wanting to sound stupid or ill-informed, could you possibly elaborate a bit with regard to the 'router'?Kind regards,Al Summers.

Guest Ken_Salter

Ok, let's assume you are using a cable modem or DSL (I don't think you stated which).You can have 2 setups:1) The cable modem/DSL modem is directly connected to your computer2) The cable/DSL modem is connected to a router (for example, a Linksys or DLink). This allows multiple computers to use the same cable/DSL modem if you have a LAN at your house. For example, at my house, I use a wireless Dlink router so my wireless computers can access the internet. These routers typically come with a built in firewall.Which are you using?As to the built in XP firewall, you can tell if you are using it by opening up your Network Connections (Start->Control Panel->Network Connections). Look for your network connection (depends on what you are using). It would look like this:http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/24021.jpgSee my wireless conneciton? It says "Enabled, Firewalled".http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"I am the keeper of the cheese; you are the lemon merchant"

Hi again Ken,I'm using AOL dial-up, and in network connections I have the following:-Dial UpAOL Dial on DemandDisconnectedLAN or High Speed ConnectionLocal Area ConnectionNetwork cable unplugged1394 ConnectionEnabledNot sure why exactly the AOL dial on demand states that it is disconnected?

Guest Ken_Salter

AOL, hmmmm....I'm not familiar with AOL and how it works. Doesn't it use a custom Netscape browser?I think I'll have to defer on this one. I'm sorry about that, we need to find an AOL user to help us out.http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"I am the keeper of the cheese; you are the lemon merchant"

Yes thats right, not that I use the browser. Just use it for the connection, then open Internet Explorer. As this is a new system, and I never had any problems downloading with my old computer, I'll check the settings as I still have AOL installed on it, and see if anything is different.