Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Fixes for PSS Dash8

I have posted this in this forum so as to get a wider audience than that which attends the PSS support forum at AVSIM.I am really very happy with the PSS Dash8 now - after applying 4 fixes that I found while researching some problems with this a/c. This is my first purchase of a PSS product and, while I appreciate that it is a FS2002 design that has been updated for FS2004 and is now being sold cheaply , I feel that these errors, which made the a/c virtually unusable for me, should not exist in the current download available at the PSS site and I would have serious reservations about purchasing any more PSS products. There also seems to be many postings from people with problems at the PSS support forum at AVSIM and I am wondering if the quantity of postings in the forum is an indication of something.1. The first one is concerned with the payload of the vehicle which can be set with the LOAD EDIT utility and which then causes a disparity between what is indicated in the aircraft.cfg file and what shows up in FS2004 as the resultant payload and fuel . The problem here was caused by an error in the CFG file. This can be fixed by changing the line "max_number _of _stations" in the weight and balance section . The a/c has 6 stations numbered 0 to 5 and the max number of stations line should read =6, instead of =5. Once this is done , you can load up the a/c with passengers , luggage and fuel and FS2004 processes the info correctly. [WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]max_gross_weight = 43000 empty_weight= 25650reference_datum_position=0.000000,0.000000,0.000000empty_weight_CG_position=1.000000,0.000000,-4max_number_of_stations=6 station_load.0 = 500, 29.0, 0.0, 0.0 //Weight Crew (lbs) LEAVEstation_load.1 = 500, -15.0, 0.0, 0.0 //Weight Galleys (lbs) LEAVEstation_load.2 = 0, -20.0, 0.0, 0.0 //Weight Baggage (lbs) Baggagestation_load.3 = 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 //Weight Cargo (lbs) Cargo station_load.4 = 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 //Weight Psgr Sect OA (lbs) Firststation_load.5 = 0, 3.0, 0.0, 0.0 //Weight Psgr Sect OB (lbs) Coach2. The second fix corrects the 5 degree nose high attitude of the a/c when it is heavily loaded in cruise flight or on final approach when even lightly loaded. It involves changing the CRUISE LIFT SCALAR value from 1 to 2. The entire FLIGHT TUNING section is actually missing from the aircraft.cfg file . This is OK as the Sim then uses the default values of 1. But to change the cruise-lift_scalar value to 2 , you need to firstly copy and past the flight tuning section into the Dash8 aircraft.cfg file. See below.[flight_tuning]cruise_lift_scalar =2.000parasite_drag_scalar =1.000induced_drag_scalar =1.000elevator_effectiveness =1.000aileron_effectiveness =1.000rudder_effectiveness =1.000pitch_stability =1.000roll_stability =1.000yaw_stability =1.000elevator_trim_effectiveness =1.000aileron_trim_effectiveness =1.000rudder_trim_effectiveness =1.0003. The third fix involves an error message that I was getting sometime during a flight which said something like ERROR - TRYING TO OPEN NON_EXISTANT FOLDER AT C:/PROGRAM FILES/PSS/TEXTURE. This is fixed by copying and pasting this folder and its contents from where it is in C:/PROGRAM FILES/MICROSOFT GAMES/FS9/PSS/TEXTURE.4. And finally, I used the tool DxtBMP.EXE to change the large 4 meg files found in this folder and also those found in the aircraft Texture folder from 32 bit format to DXT3 format. Now the a/c loads easily without pauses , etc and I can see no difference in a/c texture quality. Surely, developers should offer customers the option between using 32 bit or DXT3 textures as the former are so taxing on even high end systems.Barry

Greetings Barry,I greatly appreciate you posting this information on avsim. I ended up uninstalling the PSS product about 2 months after my purchase due to the very issues you have addressed above. I too considered this an unflyable aircraft and PSS's priority was not to issue an update any time soon. I am going to install again and try the changes you recommend.btw: How did you come about these changes; Trial & error, personal experience, etc.?Again, Thanks-Todd

-Todd

Guest BAW894

Nice one Barry.I've too found this plane to be a bit lacking, the high pitch of the nose on decent was a real annoyance as fly on line a lot and choose London City as my destination most of the time, the texture loading pause also was irritating. I've applied suggestions 1, 2 and 4 and they do make a difference, thanks very much for sharing them with us.DaveBAV894

>btw: How did you come about these changes; Trial & error,>personal experience, etc.?G'day ToddThanks for the nice words -- but the answer is "None of the above" . I am not smart enough to come up with anything original :) -- but I am a good researcher and found these fixes on the Internet in a number of obscure places. Anyway, the bottom line is now that the PSS Dash8 is quite a nice a/c to fly.Barry

Guest ismetM

Thanks Barry. I recently bought the Dash 8 and was frustrated with a couple of issues. I've implemented your suggestions and am now going to try it again.

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi Barry...And finally, I used the tool DxtBMP.EXE to change the large 4 meg files found in this folder and also those found in the aircraft Texture folder from 32 bit format to DXT3 format.Forgive me but i'm running Dxtbmp as we speak: can you please explain how do i save bmp into DXT3? I can only see DXT1 format, is that correct?Thanks for sharing your "secret"Luigi ;-)

>Hi Barry>>...And finally, I used the tool DxtBMP.EXE to change the large>4 meg files found in this folder and also those found in the>aircraft Texture folder from 32 bit format to DXT3 format.>>Forgive me but i'm running Dxtbmp as we speak: can you please>explain how do i save bmp into DXT3? I can only see DXT1>format, is that correct?>>Thanks for sharing your "secret">>Luigi ;-)Hi LuigiWhen you select the "save" in the menu, there is a box which allows you to select whatever format that you want to save in. Barry

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Done!I erroneously "saved as" and in that case DXT3 was not allowed.Do you think i'll be able to convert also PMDG 737 textures? Panel an planes .bmp's?Thank you again for support.Luigi ;-)

Guest byoung

I am really disappointed with the Auto-Pilot. It isn't compatible with my Go Flight hardware because of all the non-standard AP key mapping.The Localizer / Tracking on ILS approaches doesn't seem to track very well. The FMS is marginal.Anybody have any suggested Panel replacements? Have they used them with the PSS Dash 8?I too will try the suggested settings.Thanks Barry!Barry

Guest graaant

Hi Barry:Thanks much for posting these fixes. I've implemented both 3 & 4 -- they work very effectively and have fixed two annoying texture problems -- and am about to do 2 (I'd seen something about the CRUISE LIFT SCALAR in another post, but couldn't find it in the CFG, so just gave up).With your help, the Dash 8 is getting better and better ...Cheers,Grant

Guest JamesT73J

Barry, Very useful stuff in there. For me, the approach attitude fix is very satisfying. It's a great, great aircraft, and I love the way it's modelled, and I'm dead chuffed the aircraft is closer to the tables supplied with the game. For example, at 36000lbs landing wt, the quoted VREF is 101kts @ Flaps 15. With the default file, I really, really struggled to do this without worryingly high AOA, and tailstrikes. With the scalar change, the aircraft feels 'right' on approach. The only difference is that she's a bit more slippery - she doesn't bleed speed as well, and you've got to watch that the approach doesn't get too steep. Transition from climb to cruise is much smoother, and you don't chase the VSI so much. Thanks alot for sharing these - it's made this aircraft perfect for me.CheersJames

Guest gwi

Barry:Luckily I found this thread and was able to implement your fix. The A/C attitude is now much more realistic, and landing without a tailstrike has become possible. For those of us who really enjoy flying the Dash 8, your fix has made a real difference. Many thanks.George (EGKA)

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.