Sign in to follow this  
Sarge27

Help my CPU is cooking!

I posted on the forum a week ago to ask whether my CPU was running to high (80C under pressure, 69C idling,) all who kindly responded said it was. Uwe recommended the 25db "Arctic Super Silent" but apparently they are not readily available in the UK. Are any of you UK based simmers able to suggest which heat sink unit can reduce my 80C temperature on my AMD XP 2100+? My local PC store told that they have a

I have an ABIT Nforce 2 based Motherboard, its so damn fast the CPU is almost over performing!

Guest farmer

Do a Google search for overclocking sites. I did this a while agoand found good information. Each system is different- case,cpu,motherboard etc, so not all works for everyone. The trick is to use the info that suits your system. CPU cooler and fan and case fan did the trick for me. Farmer

Btw. - I would _not_ recommend the "Super Silent" but the "Arctic Copper" variants (the copper core makes the trick here, same holds for every cooling device). Anyway, before spending money I would check that your current cooling device is mounted corretly. Do not use a thermal pad, do use thermal paste (and a good one - ask your local dealer). Clean the die and the surface of the cooler (remove every little bit of a thermal pad if there was one) with cleaning liquid for electronic contacts, apply the thermal paste to the die (and only the die - your processor will not live if you short cirquit the contacts on the processor with the paste) and put on the coller again.The same holds if you apply a new cooler anyway ...

Available in the UK & even supplied with AMD chips for OEM's, Cooler Master. www.coolermaster.comYou would need at least model DP5-6J31C for your chip. Any good pc shop can source these fans for you.

Thanks for the help, I have sent my local PC shop the link for Coolermaster and they are going to order me one tomorrow.Many thanks.

I think I'd try another temperature probe....there's just no reason to have that kind of heat with all you've done to bring it down.