Sign in to follow this  
Guest camtech

ILS/GS

Guest camtech

hello everyone , i have been flying the dash 8 and im wondering why i cant get the plane to descend during a glide scope capture. with the correct ILS freq. i will get the lock and a littl while later i will get the GS capture, the plane will not descend , i will have the speed at around 130knt. i will even drop the plane even lower to get and even better capture but it will still not go down, what am i doing wrong.Thanks........................Robert

I am having the same problem... (Dash-8-300; FS2004, btw.)Everything on the autopilot works fine on approach except locking the glideslope. I'll be set up below the GS and intercept the LOC fine, I'll watch the GS come down to me and the GS indicator in the information window even lights up green. But, alas, the aircraft doesn't seem to pick up on it; it will either descend VERY slowly, with the GS dropping way below me, or not descend at all.What's the trick to acquiring the GS??? ...I read the intro flight and couldn't see what I was doing to the contrary (except for saving my flight in the Beechcraft Baron; ...Is this the problem??). ...I usually just start with the Dash-8 selected, cold & Dark, at the airport & gate I need to be at, and then save my flight. Upon re-starting FS9 everything seems to work fine throughout the whole flight, except, of course, for the GS.Please help... I'm happy with my purchase here and can hand fly 'er in on the GS manually; but I sure would like to figure this out for my lazy approaches...:-)Thanks!

Guest jennifer

Strange....just this evening I flew the Dash 8 and it followed the GS perfectly. Can't imagine why you're having problems. You did remember to hit the 'APP' button and not the 'Nav' button?

Jennifer - Yes...! I have the 'APP' button engaged....Like I said earlier the GS indicator will flash green in the advisory display when intercepting the GS (as will the 'LOC' indicator), but the aircraft will not track it. Localizer locks on perfect - No worries there.Yes, I'm below the glideslope when intercepting the Localizer; and yes, I'm at approach speeds, usually with flaps partially extended by the time I intercept the GS, with gear up. I usually extend the gear once I've intercepted the GS.I've tried with and without SB3 running...I always start dark & cold; I'll try starting up running and see if that makes a difference. If not I'll try removing FSUIPC and it's key and log files, then re-install.

Honestly I haven't tried the sample flight; but I have read it (along with the entire panel manual)... On approach proceedures I generally follow close to the same as what you have below - When it refers to "torque" is that throttle setting or prop condition settings?So are you telling me there's a specific 'Flight condition' that needs to be met before the simulation will let the GS engage?I will try a flight tonight using the exact proceedure you have here and see what happens. I understand from your point of view you want to eliminate "pilot error" first on troubleshooting this... :-)-press APP-at LOC intercept-select FLAP 5 -decrease Torque to 60%-set HDG to 236-when GS flag moving down-select GEAR DOWNat GSFLAPS 15adjust Torque till speed 135 kts - I'll come back here after I've flown this proceedure and post any news...Thanks!

OK Guys (and girls :-))I flew the specs listed above at KPIT.Took off from RWY 32, climbed to 4500 and turned to 280 for downwind RWY 10L. I flew out far enough to get under the GS for 10L and then made my base leg to 190. After turning for base I hit the 'APP' button and pulled torque to 60% (actually about 62-63%)... ...Soon after, the LOC lit up in the advisory window and we turned to intercept; according to the proceedure listed in the sample flight, I immediately set flaps to 5 and checked to verify that torque was at 60%. ...Now, just like before, as soon as the GS started coming down, the GS light lit up in the advisory window; I put the gear down and flaps at 10. But, but, but this time I started descending normally. Once the GS was centered I set flaps to 15 and slowed to about 145, actually.I don't know if it was the flaps at 5 on LOC intercept or the torque setting; these are the only things I may have done differently on my prior flights, but it worked! I had the GS Right down to 10L.Oh well, pilot error I guess... :-( Thanks for putting up with me...LOL.

Guest Ruahrc

I'm kind of having the opposite problem... the plane tracks the GS properly but it "loses" the LOC near the runway- causing me to disengage the AP and correct it myself lest I land on the grass next to the runway instead of the pavement.The LOC will pick up and track ok- but there will be slight drift in it. Then, when I'm about 1-2nm out, it will drift one way or the other again and will not correct- leading to an off-aligned runway.Any explanation? The LOC bar is anywhere from 1/2 to 1 full dot deflected when I kill the AP and take it in manually.Lastly- I can use the external power switches no problem when I am at my departure airport- but once I pull up to the gate at my destination, I can't use the external power switches (or at least they don't work). What is causing this anybody know? Perhaps it has to do with the way I shut the engines down? I just open the center pedestal and bring both condition levers all the way down. I even switch off all the other switches (starter from NORM to OFF, turn off all the lights, bleed air, etc) and still no ground power. It's not a big issue as I usually only stay at the gate for about 2 mins before I quit FS and log the time- but it would be cool to pull up to my destination and hook up to the ground again.Ruahrc

Guest pylon101

Okay. The sample plan really makes LOC/GS working IN THIS PARTICULAR plan.I have been flying PSS Dash-8 for three years now, from time to time.And this time - again, for the 10th time within these three years - I decided to investigate the issue - again.The sample plan does work out the plan. But it - and all others manuals - do not explain WHY all this happens to us. WHY should I approach CYYZ 26 rwy at 3,000 and WHY GS starts working not at 2,200 as it's supposed to do. And WHAT are procedures for providing a safe and happy landing at any airport. I love this aircraft and I respect PSS (though never bought anything from them after Dash - due to obvious reasons :-)).I should tell you, guys, that this model is still bugged as "Star Troopers" movie. And this is reality. And this is sad.A STOL aircraft should not work like this. Gear Up or DOWN, flaps 5 -15 - or none. IAS 135, 145, 125 - or supesonic! Glideslope has nothing to do with all that!!! IT JUST MUST WORK. I saw Dashes buzzing all around Norway, making unimaginable landings in complete fog, on 2,500 feet runways, in tight fjords. The model must work - in my humble opinion - as the model of freeware Dash-7 works: no matter how, no matter where, no matter what, no matter when - it does take ILS/GS - and lands. Nicholai IvanistkyMoscowRussia

Guest Brisbane Bound

I did my first ILS/GS approach to Brisbane YBBN the other day. All worked OK, although it did veer off just before the runway and I had to correct but then ATC made me go around. On the second attempt it picked up the LOC, decended when when GS activated and brought me right in straight up to the runway perfectly aligned.Could it be a case of crosswinds and you will have to adjust when you disconnect the AP.RegardsStephan

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.