Sign in to follow this  
Guest 99norman

ECU Settings

Guest 99norman

G'day, firstly let me say what a great aircraft the Dash 8 is.I do have one question regarding the ECU selector though, and the calculations of the ECU torque bug value. I would have assumed that when selecting the different positions, TOP, MCP, MCL, MCR, the toqure bug would progressivly decrease. Instead, whilst i get the heighest value with TOP, the next heighest is MCR, then MCL and lastly MCP. It just seemed odd to me that the cruise setting was heigher then the climb, and even more so that both were above max continuous power (not really possible?). I realise that i'm picking out some pretty detailed points, and i don't mean to critisise anyone in any way, i'm just rather curious how these ECU settings work.Any comments would be greatly appriciated.Michael

Guest 99norman

G'day again. In regards to my question above, I guess the reason i was asking is because by following the torque bug correctly & RPM 1050, during a climb, i struggle to reach above about 17,000ft, even with an empty aircraft. I searched the forum for similar problems and only found one similar, but with no answer. I'm wondering if this is only happening to me or if everyone else just ignores the torque bug, and if so what setting do they recomend. I'd love to know as the lack of climb performance is the only thing that's stopping me from really enjoying this aircraft.Thanks in advanceMichael

Guest Phoenix_7

the ECU settings have never worked properlyI just set the power levers to 90% for takeoffthen during climb set condition levers at 1050rpm, they (CL) stay at that setting till landingJohnPSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Guest de_pilot

Is this a problem that could be fixed? During cruise i usually bring the props back to 900 as done in the real a/c. I find that this diminishes the performance, especailly during a climb. Are there arny pathces that are being worked on for fs9/dash 8?Sean

Guest Ruahrc

I too had long suspected that the ECU bug was not entirely correct since it seemed underpowered to me also.I usually follow the ECL setting on the ECU for climb at 1050rpm as it "feels" pretty good (i.e. decent rates of climb with out unrealistically high TRQ settings) and then once the ECR bug intersects the ECL bug (where the cruise power is greater than climb power) I follow that. Keep in mind I'm not a real pilot and have only flown on a Q400 in real life but it feels about right, considering pitch angles, airspeed, and time-to-cruise figures.This works pretty well and once you are at cruise level and follow the cruise setting on the ECU your cruise speed is pretty close to the numbers.I have actually completed climbs following the ECL bug all the way up to 22,000 feet and beyond with a loaded plane... the secret is to decreae the KIAS of the climb according to the charts provided with the dash. At least that is how I think the charts are supposed to be read... but if you start at 160kias and around 15,000 or 17,000 feet start dropping it off you are able to maintain a steady climb rate while still following the ECL bug. But as you said it does not make sense for the ECL bug to read lower than the ECR bug at high altitudes so once the ECL bug starts to read lower I follow the other one.I enjoy the dash8 a lot and especially after I merged it with the Dreamwings baby dashes so I can operate my favorite carriers (who only fly Q100/Q200) with the PSS panel too!Ruahrc

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.