Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rajah

Landing specs

Guest DashTrash

I've got around 2000 hrs in everything but the Q400.Our -300s are all 311's, except for one 315, and all have been equipped with ditching dams on the rear emergency exits which brings the MTOW up to 43,000 lbs. MTOW without the dam is significantly lower.Ramp wt 43,200TOW 43,000Landing wt. 42,000Zero fuel wt 39,500.Yes, 6000ft is a lot of runway for a Dash, but in the real world, you would be weight restricted off that kind of runway in a 300. They are real pigs when loaded down. If you're talking -100 or -200, 4000 ft is plenty of runway at almost any weight.The -300 is a very different animal compared to the short Dashes. Much better airplane to fly, and more versatile, but requires jet sized runways and approach speeds. We have a fun time with controllers when flying the 300s to airports where they are used to the -100s. Even from an ATC standpoint, its a different animal.

Just to add my two cents here:I fly the 301, 311 and 315 model and I feel as that this whole bit about runway length is symantecs and really based on who legally provides your runway analysis. I often find that the performance gives me the option of FLAP10 for takeoff on runways up to 5900' and the ability to reduce T/O Torque to 82% at MGTOW, no problems.If the runway is shorter, we can still reduce, even the 301, 311 and use T/O FLAP15.The DH8C is a champion performer, and never even though I've never been in a 100 or 200, my friends at LIAT and the test crew at Bombardier both say the 300 is THE machine to fly.Now the 400 is a totally different beast all together.Would be nice to get in one of those!Happy flying!Chris de Barros/MYNNBahamasair DHC8-300

Guest DashTrash

Flaps 10 takeoff? That's a novel idea. We don't have nay data on them, probably since we're qualified in -100, -200, and -300. The short Dashes don't have the 10 degree selection, they ignore it altogether at my company with our -300s.You're not missing out on anything from not flying -100s. They are pigs, plain and simple. The -200 on the other hand is my favorite hands down. Almost the same power as a 300 with a lot less weight. It can hit 3000 fpm climbing out when light, and almost always over 2000 fpm during normal conditions. When you level off, it goes straight to the barberpole.Also has some systems improvements over the 100 / 300 such as ECU driven torque bugs, the PTU plumbed to run the entire number 2 system, and a different rudder shutoff valve.The 200 is definately my choice for performance, but for handling and hauling a lot of stuff, you're dead on about the -300.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.