Sign in to follow this  
Guest gwi

DH8Q--how do I grease it on??

Guest gwi

Hi:I've been 'flying' the Dash-8-300Q for about a week now---basically doing ILS approaches before attempting X/C---but am still having problems landing.Controlling power and speed on approach is obviously crucial---intercepting the G/S at 150 kts with about 60% torque and (with gear down and flaps 15 having fully established) gradually reducing to 40-45% torque and trying to keep airspeed at about 120. (Any slower and I'm on the back of the envelope!)Once over the threshhold, it's a dog to land. Even with power off and condition levers fully forward, either it floats for a thousand feet down the runway before touching down at 100kts, or (aiming at the T/D zone) I bounce it.Any tips on how to slow the A/C down much appreciated---otherwise, getting it onto 5000 ft runways just isn't on (which is was it was meant for).Thanks,GeorgePS: And yes, I've been through all the docs and tutorials.

Guest Phoenix5

George,The way I make my approach to short runways(and how I have seen the QANTAS pilots do it a the smaller regional airports) is to make the approach with a nose down attitude. Keeping 120 - 125 kts depending on conditions etc, cross the threshold around 50' AGL I then cut all power level the nose, maintain the back pressure to flare very slightly and she kisses the tarmac smooth as silk. I apply the reverse thrust as soon as the nose wheel is on the ground and find I always have plenty of room to spare.Hope this helps

Guest gwi

Steve:It does help---but only if you can tell me how to avoid a pitch up attitude (usually about 4-5 degrees) on approach with flaps 15 and 125 kts---and which tends to get steeper in the flare? Presumably, like me, you uncouple the A/P at around 250' and hand-fly it on.GeorgePS: Simply keeping the initial W&B within the envelope on this A/C is a chore!

Guest Phoenix5

George,I switch off the A/P as soon as the runway is visable, when doing a procedural NDB/VOR/ILS type approach. If I am just joining the circuit I will go "hands on" as soon as I see airport. I enjoy nothing more than joining on downwind and cutting across for a 2 mile final.

Guest DashTrash

The -300 with flaps 15 is going to have a pitch attitude of about 5 deg if flown on speed. To get the nose down, select flaps 35. That will reduce Vref a lot, and allow a pitch attitude of 2 or 3 degrees nose down. It also reduces the risk of a tail strike since with flaps 15 you can't really flare the airplane much. Much over 6 degrees and you're scraping the tail.BTW, the Dash 8 is near impossible to make consistantly nice landings in.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.