Sign in to follow this  
Guest jezzar1

Speed Help Please!

Guest jezzar1

Hi,Please can someone help me with the question.Whilst setting up, pre-flight, the manual suggests that I have to set the speed-bug to 165 kts. However, once I have taken-off, and even once at level flight, it seems that the IAS button will not increase the speed to the selected IAS but merely 'holds' the current speed at which you clicked on IAS.Please can someone let me know how this works. i.e - if I set the speed bug to 165 and am currently crusing at say 130, clicking the IAS should increase the speed to meet the speed bug chosen speed?I am definately missing something! Please help.I hope this makes sense!Many thanks.Jeremy

Guest Phoenix5

Jeremy,There is no auto throttle function in the Dash 8, so you need to manage the speeds yourself.The IAS button on the AP panel is in regards to maintaining a speed during a climb or descent. If you choose 190 IAS as you climb speed the AP will change and hold the aircraft at the correct pitch to maintain that speed, with the throttle setting that you have commanded. Once the plane levels out it will accelerate until it reaches the maximum speed for the setting you have.

Guest DashTrash

The -300 with flaps 15 is going to have a pitch attitude of about 5 deg if flown on speed. To get the nose down, select flaps 35. That will reduce Vref a lot, and allow a pitch attitude of 2 or 3 degrees nose down. It also reduces the risk of a tail strike since with flaps 15 you can't really flare the airplane much. Much over 6 degrees and you're scraping the tail.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.