Sign in to follow this  
Guest BLUEMOON1

landing the pss dash 8

Guest BLUEMOON1

Any advice on landing the dash 8, last night was very frustrating. Now I know why they call it the smash8. Usually I can land anything using trim for speed and throttle for decent rate. But I keep going low on glideslop. Is there some trick or advice you long time Dash8 drivers can give.

Guest DashTrash

Fly it like any other airplane. Use power and pitch to keep it on speed and on the glideslope. If you're having issues staying on the slope, I'm guessing you're using flaps 35 (full flaps). Try landing with flaps 15, but you'll need to carry an extra few knots over ref as you come over the numbers. There is a lot of airplane behind the main gear on a 300, and if you flare much more than 6 degrees, you'll drag the tail. Flaps 35 will help keep the tail off the ground, but you'll need to carry a lot more power on final as opposed to flaps 15.My preferred way to land any of the Dashes is flaps 15, props 1050. If the runway is tight, I'll land with flaps 35, but I don't like having to puch the props all the way up. Too much noise when you're flying 6 to 8 legs a day.

Guest BLUEMOON1

Thanks Dashtrash, did not know to keep props at 1050,and I have to learn better throttle control(all over the place),once I learn to get the power settings right I know I will do much better. Funny how I can land my PMDG 747 at yssy/34r and nail the landing every time. Was a little surprised at the skill it takes to land an aircraft like this. All my thanks Rich

Guest DashTrash

Forgot to say that a flaps 35 landing requires 1200 rpm. 1050 can only be used with flaps 15.

Guest gwi

Hi:I'm another simmer who's having trouble landing the DH8Q. Once established, I maintain 130 (with gear down, flaps 15, 1050 rpm and about 45%) aiming to reduce to 120, uncouple the A/P at 400 AGL and chop power once over the threshold. But it's a beast to slow down, and typically I find myself either bouncing it---or rouching down with the nose too high (sometimes resulting in a tail strike). I must have done 50 landings, but I've still not got the hang of it.Tips appreciated.George[EGKA](ex CPL IR rtd)

Guest DashTrash

130 is a bit fast, and that will cause you to float. I'd try 110 or so at most weights. 25% torque should be a good ball park figure for setting power the approach. Reduce that to around 10% as you get in ground effect.You can also try 1200 RPM, and flaps 35. That will keep the approach flatter reducing your tailstrike chances.

Guest gwi

Many thanks, I'll give it a go. Searching for ground effect and reducing to 10% torque possible in reality, but near impossible on FS9--at least with the mickey mouse gadgets I'm using for controls. Part of the problem is that the 'tutorial' recommends keping up the speed on the ILS (as in real life at major aiports), but getting the beast to slow down to 110 kts once past the OM can be tricky.George (EGKA)

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.