Sign in to follow this  
Guest jezzar1

Autopilot Help Please

Hi All,I am having trouble with the auto-pilot but more specifically with the IAS, VS and ALT / Alt Sel.Firstly, I do not know how to use the ALT select. Whenever I manually select a height, I am unsure as to whether I should depress the ALT or ALT sel in order to 'obtain' that altitude.However, even if one of those switches is 'active' and i want to change the IAS hold, as soon as I press IAS, ALT disconnects (and VS if I had selected that earlier).I know I am obviously doing something wrong but not sure what!Would someone be kind enough to spend a few minutes trying to explain the principles to me.Many thanks,Jeremy

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

ALT is altitude hold, that is it will hold the current altitude when the mode is selected. ALT SEL is altitude select, this arms the desired altitude, when the aircraft attains this altitude it will then hold it. IAS is speed hold, the Dash8 does not have auto throttles therefore the aircraft will use pitch (or rather vertical speed) to try to maintain the desired speed.Just to clarify, in order to utilise ALT SEL you need to be climbing/descending to the altitude you have selected in the altitude controller. IAS mode is used during such climb and descents and not for cruise, you need to manually adjust power to maintain your cruise speed.Hope this helps, the manuals should help you grasp the systems further. :)

Sign in to follow this