Sign in to follow this  
Guest gwi

Realistic Cruise Settings for Dash-8?

Guest gwi

Hi:A question for a real-world Dash pilot. Most of the time I fly relatively short sectors (150-250 nm) in the mid-to-uper teens using ballpark settings of 70% torque and 1000 rpm, giving aroung 190 IAS for an average burn of 650 lbs/hour. I set an initial fuel load of 60%, allowing for 30' hold, 45' to my alternate (always specified) and 45' remaining upon arrival. A 'typical' load is 33 pax and 1500 lbs baggage (I know ... should be using metric!)Advice appreciated.GWI (EGKA)PS: Incidently, I find the Pheonix Dash sim truly addictive!

Guest DashTrash

The usual prop RPM setting in cruise would be 900 rpm. There are some cases where 1050 might be used, but there are no charts available for 1000 rpm.As far as torque settings, that all depends on air temperature and altitude. I have the charts for the -100, -200, and -300 on a CD somewhere. If I can track it down, I'll see about getting it out to you guys.

The Torque setting charts for cruise are a part of the manuals, and have been well tabulated by PSS.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Guest gwi

Dash 8 300QYes, I've been through the manuals and printed out the torque settings. If you look at Max Cruise torque for rpm=900, F250 and -20C, you'll see it's 80%. But try flying at F250 using those settings and you feel on the back of the power curve with a nose up attitude of 5-7 degrees and an IAS down to around 150 kts. (And yes, the A/C is fully cleaned up.) Pushing the props to 1050 gets you to 200 kts indicated with the nose back on the horizon. Pilots who fly the real thing tell me they regularly pull the props back to 900 in cruise. Something wrong with the sim, or is it me?George(EGKA)

George,It it is not you. This is just an envelope that the PSS Dash does not handle very well, despite the many tweaks that many have done. The FS2004 patch did not do the aircraft much justice. Performance was alot better (even better with some more tweaking)in FS2002 for which the aircraft was originally designed.The correlation between Torque and Prop has some flaws which are somewhat tedious to model. In order for these anomalies to be corrected, PSS maybe better off re-creating the Dash for FSXKroswyndFlight DispatcherPiedmont Airlines (Dash 8 100/Q300 operator)

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Guest gwi

Thanks, I guessed it might be the software. A great pity since I'm not going to upgrade to FSX and the PSS Dash has a number of strong points, including the panel 'hot spots' and a very good FMS. Cheers,George

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.