Sign in to follow this  
Guest DP1

A Few Dash8 Questions

Guest DP1

I'm using the dash in FS9 & am wondering if others can help me fine tune my ops.1. The throttles (power) are a bit "laggy/creepy". After I set a power level the power will creeps up or down, depending which way I have just moved the throttle on the joystick. On approach it can cause a stall if not detected.2. When landing the aircraft wants to float when it gets to the last few feet above the runway. This is magnified with full flaps, as you would expect. My air speed is usually around 110-120 kt. I find it easier to reduce the flaps & just "slam" it onto the runway, using a higher speed (120 kt plus) to keep the nose down a bit. Probably not the proper way but it does the job.3. I find the AP a bit docile when it comes to maintaining a lock on the localiser. Sometimes the AP will let the aircraft wander off track quite a bit before it reacts. When it reacts it will usually over compensate. I know there's always hand flying, which I do mostly, but I want to get around this bit too.Do not take these points as me beefing about the Dash. Instead I'm just wanting input from other dash users to help fine tune my flying. From what I can see this product might have worked better back in FS8 for which I think it was designed (fair enough). David

Guest gwi

David:1. There's always a slight lag in setting the power levers on this sort of A/C. You'll find it easier to judge once you can 'see' where the levers should be set, set them ... and then let the torque settle down. When hand flying, you'll need to set, trim and reset. 2. The PSS Dash-8 requires sprecise speed control and you'll want to refer to your Vref speeds according to weight. Unfortunately, the FS9 version of the aircraft tends to go very nose high at lower speeds. Over the thresh you should be at about 25% torque with flaps 15 and prop RPM at 1050. Strictly, for flaps 30 (which lowers Vref by about 5 kts, you'll need the props at a higher RPM---but the simulation handles prop RPM poorly.3. You'll hunt the localiser (a) if your intercept angle is too great; and/or (:( if there's a strong x-wind. Otherwise the A/P is reasonable good---although it also hunts to G/S.George

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.