Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

Geforce4 TI4200

I am a total novice when it comes to graphics cards so I was wondering if anyone can give me some helpfull information about my question. I have at the moment a Nvidia Riva TNT 2 Model 64 Pro and was wanting to get a Geforce4 TI4200 with 128Mb. I was just wondering if there would be a large improvement in terms of framerates and visual quality for FS2002. I have a Time computer with a AMD1300Mhz Processor, 80GB hard drive and 512Mb RAM. Would the Geforce improve the sim? I realise that there have been posts like this in the past but I would appreciate any help on this or a comparison between the two.Thanks for your time and I hope you can help!(p.s. The card I have at the mpment has 32Mb)

I've got a Ti4400 and it seems to work pretty well. I think the step your making should be a good one. (the TNT2 has been around for awhile) Besides, with all this crap with the GeforceFX comming, prices should be driven down kinda quickly. I still cant believe the reviews on that thing. Almost everyone I've read makes some mention of yet another card comming out, a follow up to the FX because its not obliterating the 9700 Pro like the hype was implying. I love it. A card thats already out of date before it ships. ugh......computers.........

Guest ront1

Hi, A while back, my system was a CereronII 550MHz oc'd to 850MHz, with 256Msdram and a Voodoo 5500. I upgraded the Voodoo to a ATI Radeon 9500Pro. I did not see much of a frame rate increase, but I could increase the sliders a bit more, so things looked better. I just upgraded to a P4 MB and a P4 1.8G processor. So I would say don't expect much of a frame rate increase,but things may look better. For what it is worth, I tried the Geforce4 Ti4200 and was happier with the Radeon 9500Pro.Ron

I don't think you'll see a big gain in framerates but the graphics rendering should look quite a bit better and load much faster on view changes. With the 1.3Ghz you should be able to run 4X anisotropic filtering and 2X FSAA with a reasonable framerate. I wouldn't look at anything above the 4200 though. The only difference between the 4200, 4400, and 4600's are the clock speeds and, as FS2002 is CPU-limited, the 4200 will provide as good a framerate as any.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

A few questions: First for Ront1, You said "I tried the Geforce4 Ti4200 and was happier with the Radeon 9500Pro" What was it that made you prefer the 9700 Pro over the nVidia? Secondly, I see that you are running an ASUS P4PE Motherboard. How do you like the ASUS? And where did you get yours and how much did it set you back? I have been running an ASUS MB in an older system for over 5 years, most of which in the time the system has been on 24/7 and it runs like a watch! I also see that you have the "/L" version. I suppose that is the LAN version? For Doug,You stated "The only difference between the 4200, 4400, and 4600's are the clock speeds and, as FS2002 is CPU-limited, the 4200 will provide as good a framerate as any."I have not tried any of the GF4 cards yet but common sense says that a faster clock speed should result in better performance?

I'll upgrade from Geforce 2 Asus 64 mb DDR V7700TI to Geforce4 TI4200Sor Asus 8420S (128mb) (this card really rocks for price/quality) faster memory as the previous version without the s with slower memory...Hughe difference in graphics, but don't expect a lot to gain fps, for fps the major factor is a faster cpu on a well balanced system...Succes, Andr

André

Faster clocks will, indeed, provide better performance in many (maybe even most) cases. But (there is always one of those) the CPU has to be able to deliver "the stuff" to the faster video card quickly enough for it to do so. The problem with FS2002 is that it requires so much CPU power that the faster cards can't be driven to their full capability. And that fact coupled with a 1.3Ghz CPU would say that buying the more expensive cards for only more clock cycles isn't a good idea. When using FS2002, the 1.3 Ghz won't drive the 4200 to it's max and, since the rendering is the same, buying a 4400 or 4600 makes little economic sense.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest ront1

Hi MarkFahey, I will try to answer your questions. First off, I have the Radeon 9500Pro. It has been a few weeks now so I don't remember everything, but one thing that I do remember is that with the Ti4200 in my PC, there were a few games(Midtown Madness 2 for one) that had really bad graphics. With the 9500Pro in, everything I played looked good. Unreal Tournament did play better on the Ti, but FS2K2, F12002, Medal of Honor and all other games I tryed just seemed better with the 9500Pro. I wanted a card to just stick in and play all. So far, this is what the 9500 has done. Here is a link to some assorted screenies taken with the 9500 Pro.http://www.pbase.com/ront/screen_shotsI have only had the Asus P4PE/L MB on my system for a few days now. So far I am very happy with it. I got it from www.mwave.com. For the MB, P4 1.8G processor(retail with HS/Fan), and PC2700 DDR ram(Generic) and shipping, I paid $325.00. I thought it was a good price. Mwave has good ratings on www.resellerratings.com. It is my first Asus MB, but have always heard good things about them.Hope this helps some.Ron