Sign in to follow this  
Guest KemoF15

Considering Purchase

Guest KemoF15

I love the PSS 757 and am thinking of the Dash 8. I only fly complex systems (PMDG, Level D, Wilco Airbus) and was wondering if the FMC has all the functionality like 757 etc?ThanksKemo

Guest Phoenix5

The dash8 FMC is nothing like the B757 (or the Airbus for that matter). The FMC in the Dash8 is a basic unit, and just like the real plane functions found on modern jets like the 73NG will not be found here. It is as close to the real thing that was possible when this aircraft was produced for FS2002. Please note that the Dash8 autopilot does not have a VNAV function so you can not control the speed by the FMC/AP, you have to be on the flight deck and fly this plane... just like the real thing.

Guest KemoF15

Copy..thanks Steven.Kemo

Yes, you have to be on the deck until the speed is stabilized. Once that is done, the Dash 8 flies very nice. The FMU works well and you must input your choices. It will fly your course and your altitude, but you must control the speed by hand (just like the real thing). However, once you are airborne and at your cruise altitude, you can usually leave the deck, if required, and the speed will remain the same. Just make sure you craft is stabilized before you leave the deck. Nice craft to fly. Cheers!

Guest Ruahrc

The nice thing about the Dash8 autopilot is that it realistically manages speed by pitching the aircraft, not by modulating the throttle. Many of the more basic FS aircraft have a speed hold function where the AP will just modulate the throttle for the desired airspeed, and needs a vertical speed input for climbs. Not so on the DH8 where you manually control the throttles and the AC will pitch to whatever speed you have set.This allows you to follow proper climb procedures where you manually set the throttles to climb power and have the AC pitch to a target climb airspeed. Whatever climb rate you get is what you get, there is no commanding it to be X fpm.The plane is a little dated but is still a lot of fun to fly, and does so quite well. Excellent for merges with the Dreamwings DH8-100 and -200 too! Panel is a beauty too with all the great gauges!Ruahrc

I'll just add that the panel is truly a work of art. I've never seen a panel which has such a realistic three-dimensional quality to it. The night lighting is also just stunning, imho. I should point out that the virtual cockpit, although also very pleasing eye candy, is not really functional. Still, I definitely recommend it. It's a very enjoyable change from the big jets.Brandon

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.