Sign in to follow this  

ZOOM SETTING

Hi everybody,I was the one to raise this problem again on Jan 28th (I'm new on the forum) and I appreciate your replies and advices although it appears difficult to have THE solution.You are right Basil, the zoom affects the frame rate and as you say taking off from, and landing in very detailed airports (airports 2002) may result in a slide-show if your zoom is too low.On the other hand taking off with a zoom of 1 or higher is really a challenge. I use 0.6 and have a time keeping the A/C on the runway center line with my Flight Sim Pedals USB. If I use 1 or more I'm chasing this center line all over the place !In conclusion I think ChasW"s suggestion of using several zoom settings, with FSUIPC advanced settings, may be the best solution and I will certainly try it out.Cheers to allJFC

I like a zoom of less than one while landing the Cessana 172 in the Virtual Cockpit mode. While is is not the most accurate forward view, if gives me the main six instruments, view to the side to watch the "white line" closing as I flare, and I can still see the end of the runway. I do adjust my seat up (seat height) on final just as I raise my head a little to see over the the nose in real life.My question is, how can I zoom the Virtual Cockpit panel back to say .8, independently of the forward view? (which I would then set to around 1.25)DM

I took a look at the advanced user guide for programming the keys, and found it a bit daunting. But something close to the same result can be had with the default keys. The major zoom is always .5x/2x (the first number zooming out, the second number zooming in). Using the fine setting, one can zoom in to, say 0.65, and then the +/- keys will toggle back and forth between 0.65 and 1.30. That's close enough for me.I haven't considered the effect of zoom when trying to stay on the centerline taking off. I'll have to give that a try (as soon as the FS2002 'puter is put back together -- it is torn apart waiting for a new CPU to be delivered today). Thanks for the tip.-Basil

Guest wizard01

I find all this talk about Zooming very interesting; though I come from Somerset, UK, we are not very bright down here :) . Anyway, I did try to put my newfound knowledge to the test this afternoon. I found it very helpful, but it will take me some time to arrive at what suits me best. One thing I would like help help is - when a Zoom rate is set; say looking down the RW before take off, I set 1.25 - this works fine until I change view - look left or right - when I return to look forward; well the Zoom rate has change back to what FS thinks it ought to be!! not what I set. Is there a way to keep my Zoom setting?Ken

>What I have find is that the zoom is relatively unimportant. >What is important is to match the zoom to the perceived >field of view, Well, it is playing the semantics game. The "zoom" in FS controls the field of view. Maybe the zoom name is incorrect but this is what it does in this product. So the question is how to set the proper zoom, oh - pardon me, the field of view. And it has been answered many times.Michael J.

I use 0.75% zoom in the cockpit with 1.00 set on the space bar for VFR landings. Since I mostly fly night IFR and usually only go visual on final occassionally, this seems to work for me. Take off roll and landing speed seem about right. This is an interesting topic because I have noticed that in VC mode, with low zoom settings, the panorama seems too wide and the perception of speed seems artificially fast.Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

DM: You can assign any zoom setting you want to any key you want in the ASSIGNMENTS section of FS 2002. Set the 1.25 zoom setting in the VIEWS options box, then when you hit the appropriate key (which you have to hold down), you'll get the desired zoom.Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Ken,I believe you can perminently set the zoom in the FS2002.cfgpretty sure bout that.mouse

>>What I have find is that the zoom is relatively unimportant. >>What is important is to match the zoom to the perceived >>field of view, >>Well, it is playing the semantics game. The "zoom" in FS >controls the field of view. Maybe the zoom name is incorrect >but this is what it does in this product. So the question is >how to set the proper zoom, oh - pardon me, the field of >view. And it has been answered many times. I'm sorry, you are wrong. I'm not picking a fight but zoom in FS2002 provides an increase or decrease ONLY in the level of magnification of the outside textures. Fact. True Field of View adjustment would ALSO adjust the angle of the instruments. Which it does not. Also fact. Field of VIEW must, by definition, encompass ALL that is within that Field of View. The standard adjustment in FS2002 does not do that.In contrast, Active Camera does provide FOV adjustment, via moving the point of view fore and aft. It's a simple, but quite obvious, difference. Semantics? Well maybe, but as I said perception is a personal interpretation.ChasW

Whatever. The fact is that by changing "zoom" in FS one gets different angular relation of outside scenery to the instrument panel and only one such setting is correct. Michael J.

Insert following in Panel.cfg (Panel folder) to permenantly adjust zoom:[VIEWS]VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM=0.5 [or whatever level you want]

>Whatever. >The fact is that by changing "zoom" in FS one gets different >angular relation of outside scenery to the instrument panel >and only one such setting is correct. Now you've gone from incorrect to WTHAYOA? The original angular declension is based entirely on the preset that is retained in the panel.cfg and/or the saved flights folder and is also perfectly adjustable. FACT! So if your objection to this is that the relationship is only `perfect` at 1.0x and no other, change it to a zoom/angle combo that works. I change mine all the time. It's like you're saying that someone needs to move the tree at the end of your road so you don't drive into it, when it's on the pavement, on a bend. If you don't want to drive into it, stay on the road, steer round - or simply don't drive.No-one is forcing you to change anything. Guess you'll need a 3-screen multi-monitor setup before you're happy. Look forward to the screenshots.Chas

>Now you've gone from incorrect to WTHAYOA? >>FACT! So if >your objection to this is that the relationship >It's like you're saying that someone needs to move the tree >at the end of your road so you don't drive into it, when >it's on the pavement, on a bend. >No-one is forcing you to change anything. Guess you'll need >a 3-screen multi-monitor setup before you're happy. Look >forward to the screenshots. Bla, bla, bla.. are you responding to my posts or someone else's ? Do you even understand my posts ? I have no clue what you are saying but I bet it is something very important. Hope others will get something out of it !Ciao,Michael J.