Sign in to follow this  
X24

Dash 8 flight dynamics

My Dash 8 seems to need to fly around with well above the normal pitch attitude, 5-10 degs nose up on approach for instance. I haven't done a lot of investigation yet, and in the first instance I thought I'd take the easy route and ask someone. Thanks guys. Incidentally I have been fortunate enough to fly the real thing (100 & 200)and apart from this little problemette, I'm hugely impressed with this product. Cheers - Chris Allan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Oh well, how about that. Had a rummage around in the forum and pretty much the first postings I found were Barry Ward's suggestions for dealing with this.Regds - Chris

'Fraid you're not going to solve the pitch attitude problem completely even with the suggested tweaks. And there are a few other problems too; eg, bringing the props back to 900 rpm in normal cruise doesn't quite work, nor can you keep the speed down in the descent by going fully fine. This A/C sim was designed for an earlier version of FS and marginally upgraded for FS2004. A pity it's not been fuly upgraded because in lots of ways it's the nicest turboprop available anywhere.Best/George[EGKA]

many years ago i used the mods as listed in the forum. this did nothing to help the flight dynamics as the 'brute force fix' to the pitch caused the aircraft to act even more out of line in other modes of flight.I suggest the following as I i did the following to much success -the fanda is a very good representation of the dash-8. the panel is VERY realistic but with a FS6/7 look. the 3D model has the same FS6/7 look. she flys GREAT!Compare the fanda dash-8

I became resigned to the fact that any sort of sim is never going to be exactly like flying the real thing, but ignoring handling difficulties, or more to the point, accepting their existence, procedurally there is plenty of substance and value. The challenge with any aircraft is learning its characteristics and limitations and sims are no different. I'm finding a balance between the desire for realism, and being realistic. Patience, practice and an open mind...Thanks for the feedback. Chris

Thanks for your suggestion. I enjoy tinkering with flight dynamics almost as much as flying - they go hand in hand in my world and it had crossed my mind but I haven't had much time to indulge this pastime as I'm studying for IFR and ATPL exams.Cheers, Chris

Good luck with the written exams Chris (not to mention the ordeal at B'mouth). Where are you studying?George

Thanks George. At home in Geelong, Australia. It's for validation of a foreign ATPL. Got to do it each time I move country. This will be round 4 if you include the 1st sitting in NZ 20 years ago. We're getting off the topic here. Email me if you like using the forum linkRegds Chris

Sign in to follow this