Sign in to follow this  
Guest godinhoc

Managed descend - I appreciate same help, please

Guest godinhoc

Anyone ????????? :) By the way I refer TOC but it's TODThanks in advance ..CG

Guest Skywalker

I assume you have to deploy the speed brakes to initiate the descent. I normally have to do that with larger airbus'. I am wondering if you don't get a MORE DRAG message. Rgds, Sam

Guest godinhoc

Hi there ... thank's for your reply ...Well , I don't deploy speed brakes to initiate the descent.What I do is this:First of all in FSIUPC I make this change:I asssign the up and down cursors (on Keyboard) to Spoilers Inc and Spoilers Dec, and a assingn to a joystick button the arm spoilers function. In flight preparation , on the MCDU in cruise page I force the speed to be .80, so when on TOC the speed stays at .80 rather than .82Well in this case the speed in the cruise stage is in selected mode (not dashs in the FCU)When reach the TOC (cruise altitute) I press the right mouse button on altitude knob, so the cruise altitude on the FCU stays without the dot (37000 * on climb versus 37000 on cruize)Let us say we are about 10NM from TOD at this time I put on the FCU the altitude of BOD (bottom of descend) 4000 ft.When i'm over TOD( that mark on the ND - the white down arrow), the message "decelarate" apears on the PFD) ... Well this when things start to go wrong (I think ?)In normal circumstances I press the left mouse buttom on altitude knob (managed, now the altitude stays with a DOT), the speed marks apear on the PFD, and the plane starts to descent. Of course if the speed pass the marks I have to aplly speed brakes (and the message "more drag" apear on PFD, if the speed isn't between the marks) Now, the same message apears (decelarate), I press the left mouse button, and nothing ...I have to press the right mouse buttom to start an open desc ... (the altitude now is without the DOT) and the speed marks don't appear on PFD and that dot that apears on PFD (that indicates that your are in the right descent angle) doesn't aperars too. In the perf page on MCDU I'm still in cruize mode ...As you read before the speed is in selected mode (.80), shouldn't the speed change automatically to managed (with dashs on FCU) ???, well it doesn't change, I have to press the left mouse button on the speed knob ... because if not ,at a certain point i start to overspeed.At, let's say 13000 ft, the dot apears on PFD (that indicates that your are in the right descent angle), from there I can now do a managed descent. I press the left mouse button on the altitude knob (now the altitude have the DOT), the speed marks apear on the PFD , and everything works as it should (I think :))For a long time I was flew the SSW A310, did I made some confusion here ???I hope that you can help me ..Regards...Carlos Godinho

Guest vrandar

My gut feeling here is that technique seems all wrong, including forcing the speed in cruise mode and messing with FSUIPC which seems a bit dangerous. If you are using STAR or Approach charts you will normally have to be at a specific altitude/FL by a specific VOR or fix on the STAR. So this must be put in as an altitude constraint on the flight plan page in the MCDU. To do this you need to press the right LSK next to the VOR/fix where the altitude constraint is to be entered and entering the alt at LSK3R. Then before you get to TOD enter the first altitude constraint in the FCU and at TOD left click (i.e. press) the alt knob and you should start the descent quite smoothly.

Guest Skywalker

I totally agree to Rob.It doesn't make much sense to me to overrule the speed limits in the FCU and fly selected mode enroute. There is nothing wrong to assign the spoilers, flaps or gears to your joystick. However, bear in mind that A/P can't initiate a proper descent with IAS on selected mode. Try one of the tutorials and start over.Sam

Guest godinhoc

Hi there ...Well, as I sad in my last post, for some time I flew the SSW A310, and then a start again with the 340.As you can see a make some confusions here ...The operation of A310 is very different from the A340, may we say that, for a guy who is accustomed to the A340 operation, the A310 is like walking backwardsThank's very much for your topics ...Regards ...CG

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.