Sign in to follow this  
CraigC

PFC Jetliner Yoke Question

I know that not many use this yoke, but I happened to pick one up for a really good price, but found out that Im not getting any pitch control in FS. I was wondering if anyone is using this yoke with WinXP as a gameport device. I thought I read somewhere that the yoke was incompatible with WinXP, so I thought I would ask before I dual booted to a dos based OS. Thanks alot for your help.Craig

You might check Peter L. Dawson's FSUIPC website, since he has made many analog drivers for PFC yokes for gamports recently. I'm sorry but I don't have the web address. Do a Google search.

The drivers that I see posted on his site are for the com port connected devices. The yoke I got is a gameport version. I am about 10 minutes or so from installing 98 to see if it works...if not, Ill tear it apart and see if any wiring is broken or send it back to PFC for some TLC. I wasnt made aware of any problems when I purchased the yoke, but that could be the main reason I picked it up for such a good price. Ill get back later with my findings. Thanks again.Craig

I am pretty sure that that yoke emulates one of the CH Products devices - I'm not sure which but I think it's either the (old model) CH Yoke or the Combatstick joystick. So try telling WinXP that it's one of those.BTW I have some PFC stuff too, and have "been inside" of both the pieces I own (I have the Cirrus II console and the avionics stack) - you might want to pull the top off the yoke enclosure and verify that everything's OK in there - i.e. make sure that the potentiometer that corresponds to the axis you're having problems with is connected properly, both mechanically and electrically.Good luck,Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Dave, Im pretty sure its the Combatstick, since it states on the pfc website to make sure this driver is installed. It goes on to say that the analogue version of the jetliner yoke isnt compatible with 2000 or xp, so Im hoping that a quick installation of 98 will tell me where the problem is. Im definitely not looking forward to installing 98 just to see if the yoke works nor am I thrilled about taking the yoke apart. Hopefully I wont have to do the latter of the two.Craig

I don't know why it wouldn't work, since I am running a full CH gameport setup (Janes Combatstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals) on XP Pro with no issues. I did install CH's driver thingie for XP though.Let us know how it goes.cheers,dB.P.S. one thing you could do, if you have a multimeter, is check the resistances showing up on the gameport connector as you move the yoke around... this would probably be less painful than installing Win98!

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Welp, Im now in 98 (what a blast in the past by the way) and still no pitch movement under the game controls utility. Im assuming there is a connector that is broken off and since I have received the yoke and questioned the owner about 2 issues Ive found with the item he has not responded. It looks like he has taken this thing apart before by the looks of the screws, possibly he was having a problem and wasnt able to fix it so he dumped it. At any rate, this will be a nice weekend project for me. Ill keep checking this thread to see if anyone else has any suggestions. Thanks for the help.Craig

Hi Chris, This is just the jetliner yoke itself, and has a gameport connector. From what I could gather at the pfc site, that dll is only for pfc devices that are digital and that connect via a com port. I now have the yoke half torn apart and can tell someone was inside of here since some cables were labeled. It kind of bothers me that I wasnt told there were problems with the yoke, but oh well. What did I expect for $350.Craig

Well, thank you to everyone who was willing to share something to try and help me out with my jetliner yoke problem. Shortly after responding to Chris's message, I found the problem. First of all, the previous owner had been in there dinking around because as I said before, there were a few wires labeled, and he had reversed the connections which was causing the yoke to malfunction. As soon as I get XP loaded back up and get my room restored to some kind of order, I took pictures to better explain the problem. Thanks again for all of your help.Craig

Well, as I said, once I got everything kind of back in order I would post a few pics of what I was talking about.Pic #1, this is the circuit board inside the yoke and you can see the connectors that are labeled left and right jet.Pic #2, you can see the previous owner had labeled the wires that clip into the connectors kind of like a DSL or phone line, but he had flipped them. Whether he originally labeled them backwards or put the yoke together in a different position than he took it apart, they were switched. Luckily the problem was solved in about 10 seconds, it was getting the base back on the yoke that was the hard part. Luckily the problem is fixed and I wont have to send the yoke to PFC to be fixed. Thanks again to everyone who gave their advice. The yoke works fine now in XP, I just have a little noise to deal with now.CraigEDIT: After looking at the pics again I know that the previous owner must have labeled them after unhooking them because they were labeled wrong. The one that is labeled left actually goes in the "Right Jet" connector and the one labeled right goes in "Left Jet". HAHA...man, I consider myself lucky. :)

Just some further info to share with the yoke... if you hear any cracking or creaking sounds, apply some petroleum jelly to the springs... had to do this to mine.Chris

Thanks for the tip, Chris. I will take all the information I can get on this yoke since it is quite a rare item, and google searches hardly turn up anything. I didnt even try calling PFC yesterday because I knew they would give me the cold shoulder since the yoke is second hand. Sometime later this year Im thinking about sending it back for the digital upgrade, depending on price. The bad part is the yoke is so heavy that shipping gets high really quickly. So far I am pretty impressed with the functions and feel of the unit and feel that I got a really great deal for $350.Its a little tougher now to store this yoke as compared to my old Virtual Pilot Pro, but hey Ill live. :)Craig

I should add to my post above that I only feel like I got a great deal once I got everything working properly. I wasnt quite feeling so "great" when those wires were crossed. :)Craig