Sign in to follow this  

SceneryUSA ETA release??

Love the SceneryUSA and I am wondering if anyone knows when it will be released and how much will it cost?Thanks!!Brian P. - KBOS

Hey Brian...I'm just as excited as you are for this release. But, I think the website answers your question with the following line..."It's coming soon. Thousands of square miles of scenery on CD-ROM for various areas of the USA at a reasonable price."Sadly, they have not yet announced a date or a price for the packages. Only the Aerosoft Austrailia folks know when and how much, and they haven't talked yet. :) I'm sure there will be a lot of attention drawn to it when they do, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it... until, of course, you've placed your order and are waiting for the package to arrive in the mail! Keeping a watchful eye on their site and the AVSIM news messages...-Greg

jerrycwo4Does anyone know; will this SceneryUSA REPLACE the FScene that had the 4 releases of : summer, fall, winter, and spring? Would these two programs do the same thing are could they be used togather. I have all 4 of the FScenes and really like the way they look. Thanksjerry

Judging by what I have seen, along with the demonstration files, it will REPLACE FScene..FSScene simply replaces the default textures with new ones. The terrain data and roads all stay the same, but the "pictures" used to paint it are changed.SceneryUSA uses a different type of scenery - informally, it is called "custom" scenery. It does not use the same terrain data as the default. In essence, it overwrites the default scenery.Because FSScene NEEDS the default scenery to display, FSScene is not displayed.SceneryUSA will override FSScene.

I don't mean to criticize a product that has not even been published yet, but will sceneryUSA be compatible with fs2004, or whatever the next version from MS will be? If the Ozzies who are producing the scenery are reading this, maybe they can share some information. Thanks!Sherm

Since only certain areas will be modeled, I am wondering if the enhanced areas bordering the default terrain will be blended by hand into the default terrain, or will there be an abrupt change as in the Boston Demo ?Thank you,John M.

Speaking from outside of the fray...I think it will be compatable with FS2004 - the scenery (at least the boston demo) seems to be designed with the "newer" method of terrain creation, so it stands to reason that it will be capable. Of course, considering details of FS2004 are not available, it is too early to tell. Better to buy an addon with the knowledge that it probably won't work with the next version, and be happily surprised that it does than to buy an addon expecting it to work and being disappointed when it doesn't.I don't think the scenery will be blended into the background textures... there isn't an easy way - if any way at all - to do a soft, alpha-channel blend into already existing ground terrain, AND SceneryUSA cannot contain ANY portions of the MS default textures due to licencing and copyright issues. I think it will be an abrupt change. I DO wish they would speak a little more about the package - I'm very interested in the details as well!-Greg

Hi,We've got some exciting things happening at the moment but I can't say too much. This I can say. The terrain will finish abruptly so more scenery can be added at a later date. That is, scenery can join up next to each other to make one contiguous area. The area supplied on the demo is quite small and the final product is large so the cut-off will probably be way in the distance.If Microsoft keeps their scenery engine the same as FS2002, with hopefully a few improvements in speed, then it will be upwardly compatible.Without wanting to hype things, and if all goes to plan, we'll be releasing screen shots and some other details hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the replies folks, sounds like a great productJohn M.