Sign in to follow this  
Guest PoM

Descent....

Guest PoM

Hello, I was wondering about the descent with the A320...When ATC tells me to descend and maintain 2000 ( or any other number)the altitude control turns off and I use the V/S control..well how can I find out what V/S speed to use when descending...I ussually am to low then I end up staying at 2000 feet for a few minutes...is there a rule of thumb?..or somthing like this?...I the the 737 gives your a V/S to useChad Moore

Hi Chad....There is a basic rule of thumb that i read once and it works out fairly well. Not necessarily based on anything too technical, but just general. The rule says that you allow 3nm for each 1000 ft that you want to decend, so from say 30000 ft to 2000ft thats 28000 ft to decend and at roughly 1800 ft/min to 2000 ft/min thats 84 nm. It is a rough guide, but i am sure the management computer on a well managed decent can get things more accurately than that.take careJohn Calleja

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Guest catIIIdual

Hello Chad!Well, the easiest way to follow this ATC order is to manage 2000' in FCU: DES on FMA. If too early, the plane will start descent with 1000'/m (low path)until it reaches the managed path, and then will follow it down to 2000'.Now if you want to use V/S "IN GENERAL CASES": simply use a "3

Guest seacat

Hi catIII dual,Simply put -Your tutorial was excellent :)Way to go man.Regards,Naval.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.