Sign in to follow this  
w6kd

New revision of Bob Scott's A330/340 FDEs available

Version 1.2H of my alternative A330-340 flight dynamics (designed for the PSS panel) is released on my website: http://home.comcast.net/~gulfstream-v/index.htmlThis corrects pitchover behavior on full spoiler deployment that was causing nosewheel slam-down and/or bouncing during some autolands, most noticeably on the A330s.The distribution archive includes both .air files and aircraft.cfg file shells for all PSS A330-340 variants. Only the .air files were changed in this version, so if you were using v1.2G you need only do a one-for-one replacement of the matching airfiles.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks Bob for your continued updates and improvements.CiaoJannier

hello, I update the new version of Scott's A330/340 FDE, and I note that for the A330, autopilot can't maintain speed in final approch.

I notice that in selected mode, and I don't test it in managed mode.best regard

When you say can't maintain speed, do you mean it's surging, it can't maintain speed at full power, or just what exsctly? Were you using the previous version (1.2G) of the FDE?Do you have both my aircraft.cfg file and my .air file installed? You can't mix-and-match the PSS config/air files with mine...you have to use either both PSS files or both of mine.The only change to this version was to reduce the pitch effects of spoiler deployment.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

Hi Bob,just installed the your updated files (had 1.2D installed) and have to say i'm impressed! Did some Autolandings and all where perfect, even the pitch attitude was correct!The big busses perform much better now, thanks a lot for your nice work! I really appriciate it.janosch

Hi Bob,>The big busses perform much better now, thanks a lot for your>nice work! I really appriciate it.>>janosch>Yes I agree many thanks for your time and trouble to work these things out for us. Do you get discount from PSS lol lol.Mike

Nope...your thanks are my only compensation, and they are appreciated.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

Hi Bob,If our thanks are your only compensation, then please allow me to add my thanks for your magic efforts in allowing these models to deliver their full potential. No doubt about it, they are a better aircraft as a result of your efforts.

Dear Bob,Thanks for the hard for on new FDE's.Are they still FS2k2 friendly or do you recommend FS2k4 use only.Best regardsGurhan

Bob, indeed your contribution is only on pair with FSUIPC, IMHO.I am using your modified AIR and CFG files for both the Airbus family and the B200.There is only one minor detail I would like you to find a way around. While I have no specific numbers with me now, I still find the A340 pitch too high on final app.

Gurhan; If they're FS2K2 friendly it's only by accident...all design work was done in and for FS2004. Haven't heard anything bad about 'em in 2002 yet, however...CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

I would like to add my appreciation for your brilliant contribution also in public, Bob! Your efforts are outstanding! A take a bow!Sam

This is the first time I've used Bob Scott's FDEs, and so far I really like them, but I have a problem.Before installing the FDEs I had no major problems except for the nosewheel slamdown and the FDEs have fixed that, but I've found that now I have to keep my speed brakes deployed from the beginning of my approach until I land in order to keep my speed correct. The AP can't seem to control the speed properly. It might be a problem with my procedure (I'm not very experienced), but I've only had this problem since I've installed the FDEs. By the way, I'm flying the A330. Any ideas?

How/when are you configuring the jet with flaps/gear? What weights and speeds are you trying to fly? Need a lot more info on what you're doing to help you sort this out.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

Hi Bob,I'm using your last version of air file and aircraft.cfg in the A330-300 from PSS, and I noticed that during taxi the aircraft tends to increase speed in idle. Has I know from real Aircraft the A330-300 needs some amount of thrust to taxi.This is from the SOP for A330-300 "In order to get the aircraft moving, little, if any, power above idle thrust will be required. Thrust should normally be used symmetrically. Once the aircraft is moving, little thrust is required."RegardsJorge Diogo

I forgot to mention that this problem doesn't happen with the A340 (I installed the FDEs for both aircraft). I only have problems with the A330.

It's true, that the VAPP tends to overshoot a bit and I sometimes have to deploy my speedbrakes as well to hold IAS correctly. I'll check if reducing the spoiler_limit in the aircraft.cfg corrects that. (from 35 to 30 or 25) However, it is also crucial to activate APPR PHASE in your MCDU not too late. In "managed mode" this would be done automatically at "D" in your flightplan. However, in real flying ATC usually tells you when to decelerate your IAS. Make sure to activate APPR PHASE in the PERF page during your descent before you get into the approach phase. Sam

I recommend checking your throttle calibration (in FSUIPC is a good place) to make sure the throttle axis is actually at 0 when you have levers at idle. Have had several similar reports...problem was throttle calibration in every case so far.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

Well, reducing the spoiler_limit to 30 might lead to somewhat softer autolands, but it doesn't seem to have any impact on the VAPP issue. I don't dare to fiddle in the FDE's too much and rather wait for Bob to look into this. Rgds, Sam

This I don't understand...I just flew two flawless on-speed ILS approaches in the A332 (one RR, one GE), and power settings were nowhere close to bottomed out. A/T maintained airspeed within 2 knots of target all the way down the chute.I wonder if it's possible you have a PSS config file mixed with my air file or vice versa? If you have recently installed a PSS livery into either the 333 or 332, it will have overwritten the aircraft.cfg files for both. Other than that, I don't know how you're getting this. What stage of the approach are you in...what's your weight, configuration, and airspeed?RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

Hi BobHmmm..... very strange, I actually double checked to make sure everything was set correctly. I haven't overwritten anything except for your files. When lowering the gear and set flaps down in the final, IAS overshoots the MCDU calculation by 10kts. I have a ZFW 167t, block 20t. Calculated speeds for approach are 151kts (VAPP) and 146kts (VLS). I have sent you an email as I'm not familiar how to post screenshots here. 110ft above ground my PFD showed 162kts... I will reinstall your files and test once more, but which figure in the FDE might improve that?Kind regards,Sam

Bob, I once overwrote with your files. As expected I had to modify the ZFW with loadedit to get my former value. I performed another test with the same deviation. Calculated VAPP showed 151kts in the MCDU, but ATH couldn't hold the speed. Touchdown with 168kts was quite rough. Don't know what could have gone wrong here, but Rev. 1.2G was very accurate on this. I'm still thinking of what I'd might have overlooked... no clue so far.Regards, Sam

Sign in to follow this