Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

New revision of Bob Scott's A330/340 FDEs available

There is only one way I know to produce the speed-index behavior you describe, and that's by not having a value entered in the ZFW and/or block fuel on INIT page 2. If you forget to enter the value, the MCDU will still compute (incorrect) V-speeds and approach speed indices, and the approach speed index will shift immediately to Vapp when reaching S speed as you describe. Also, if you are doing multiple legs, be aware that the MCDU zeroes out the ZFW value as soon as you land, so you have to go back to INIT page 2 and re-enter the value when programming the MCDU for the next leg.I can't imagine that the change to the new version of the FDE is doing this...all that was changed was the spoiler pitchover moment.Regarding making changes to the AFCS tuning page permanent, AFAIK they are permanent as soon as they are made. If you're having problems with keeping the changes, you can manually edit the values in the PssAirbus 3xxAPTuning.dat file...open the file with NotePad and change the value for EoTacc.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Bob thank you for your response. My comments below :>There is only one way I know to produce the speed-index>behavior you describe, and that's by not having a value>entered in the ZFW and/or block fuel on INIT page 2. If you>forget to enter the value, the MCDU will still compute>(incorrect) V-speeds and approach speed indices, and the>approach speed index will shift immediately to Vapp when>reaching S speed as you describe. Actually it is set, ZFW 325 / BLOCK 32.5.Maybe something else is impacting the MCDU .... I don't know, I run out of ideas. The only thing that is sure is that someone else noticed this problem.... Maybe our ZFW are wrong, I usually use the one I've set from the utility "PSS Load Edit A330", but I will triple check next time in the Aircraft.cfg.> Also, if you are doing>multiple legs, be aware that the MCDU zeroes out the ZFW value>as soon as you land, so you have to go back to INIT page 2 and>re-enter the value when programming the MCDU for the next>leg.>It is not the case now, but htanks for the advice.>I can't imagine that the change to the new version of the FDE>is doing this...all that was changed was the spoiler pitchover>moment.>In fact, This small change logically can not lead to such behaviour.Will revert back to version G (I found a backup ;), make same flight with same configuration, and report back. Just in case ;)>Regarding making changes to the AFCS tuning page permanent,>AFAIK they are permanent as soon as they are made. If you're>having problems with keeping the changes, you can manually>edit the values in the PssAirbus 3xxAPTuning.dat>file...open the file with NotePad and change the value for>EoTacc.>My previous comment was wrong. In fact, it was permanent change (sorry for asking such silly thing).I have another question by the way, is your .AIR file totally PSS dependant, or can it be used within custom-aircraft (for example for use with project magenta Airbus suite, without PSS gauge and panel) ?-Jerome

These FDE can be easily used in a merge configuration between the PSS panel and other models (e.g. POSKY) with some modification to the aircraft.cfg file. In fact, I do use these FDE with Project Magenta. I have a rather complex merge configuration that uses parts of the PSS panel for aircraft systems, the PM panel for flight guidance, and the POSKY visual model that runs on 4 networked PCs. However, the FDE were written for the thrust schedule coded into the PSS MCDU, so you have to use a type file for the PM MCDU that approximates the PSS thrust schedule, rather than attempting to use r/w A330 N1/EPR data.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL GUlfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Okay, as promised : I've reverted to FDE build G and made the same test flight (changed the ZFW to 350 however, using A330).The problem of Flaps1 speed still exists. So it has nothing to do with H release (as you said, Bob)...Something else did change on my side... And I can't remember whot.However. Very nice FDE, Im using it everyday. This issue is not a great matter. I'll deploy FLAPS config one then scroll gently to FLAPS 2, 3, FULL during my descent. Best way to avoid those AFLOORs.@+

Guest valterg

>Version 1.2H of my alternative A330-340 flight dynamics>(designed for the PSS panel) is released on my website:>> http://home.comcast.net/~gulfstream-v/index.html>>This corrects pitchover behavior on full spoiler deployment>that was causing nosewheel slam-down and/or bouncing during>some autolands, most noticeably on the A330s.>>The distribution archive includes both .air files and>aircraft.cfg file shells for all PSS A330-340 variants. Only>the .air files were changed in this version, so if you were>using v1.2G you need only do a one-for-one replacement of the>matching airfiles.>>Regards>>Bob Scott>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300>Washington, DCHello, BobPlease tell me if is possible to change the payload and ZFW in A330, using the PSS Loadedit utility, and still using your FDE. I did see your advice to use the suggested ZFW with your FDE, but I like to change payloads for some flights.Will ZFW changes compromise your FDE?ThanksValter - Brazil

Guest JMV

Im not Bob, but yes It does change your payload, It does compromises your FDE.

>Hello, Bob>>Please tell me if is possible to change the payload and ZFW in>A330, using the PSS Loadedit utility, and still using your>FDE. I did see your advice to use the suggested ZFW with your>FDE, but I like to change payloads for some flights.>>Will ZFW changes compromise your FDE?>>Thanks>>Valter - Brazil ZFW changes, in themselves, will not "compromise" the FDE. If all the station load centroids are placed by the loader at the reference datum/CG (0,0,0) then you can safely alter the loading without affecting the CG...only those flight characteristics related to magnitude of mass are significantly affected (e.g. acceleration, climb rate etc). There will be a slight inconsistency in rotational dynamics due to unadjusted moments of inertia, as the values were set for the default load. This would not likely be noticeable unless very large changes are made to the load. If PSS or another loader places station load centroids anywhere but reference zero, then it's quite possible to alter the CG enough to create problems, particularly with longitudinal stability. I don't use the PSS loader, so I don't know if it places the station loads at reference zero/CG. The easiest way to tell: make a backup of the aircraft.cfg file, then try it. If it flies funny, then replace the aircraft.cfg with the saved backup.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

Guest valterg

Dear Bob,Thank you.Of course, a cicle of "trial and error" assays will be necessary, but I think that your answer is a stimulant start point.Thanks againValter - Brazil

Guest Skywalker

As it seems autolands work perfect also with higher loads, as long we are using two classes with Bob's FDE's.Regards, Sam

Guest Skywalker

Hmmm... I have to put my previous post into perspective... ... for medium hauls or long hauls I am achieving with the A330-200 perfect autolands with Bob's FDE's. I get "nose wheels" with my preferred route to test autolands. There are a couple of legs, but 40nm in total only with a CRZ ALT of 9000ft. Total landing weight is around 178t, which should be within the limits for an A330-200.Bob is using in his FDE's a default weight of 147,4t. I wonder if higher weights would have an immediate impact to the autoland performance, which might derive from the longitudinal stability as he mentioned in one of his previous posts. If this is the case we'd rather stick to his default weight and don't experiment too much with different loads.Regards, Sam

Guest Skywalker

I discovered the autoland issue at last. It has nothing to do with Bob's FDE's I'm afraid. After all it seems that a payware scenery I am using for Zurich LSZH isn't programmed carefully. Apparently the altitude of the airport somehow is incorrect. AI aircrafts are moving correctly on the ground and the rest looks correct too, but the autoland function is expecting to touch the ground earlier. I deactivated the airport and tried with the MS default instead. Works perfect!Also I tested higher loads. The FDE's are well balanced and don't show any significant differences. Thanks, Sam

Guest valterg

Well, I did two identical short haul flights with PSS A330-200 using Bob's (wonderful!) FDE, from SBGR to SBBR (487 NM). The first one I did using the Bob's default 325000 ZFW and the fuel amount calculated by the PSS Fuel planner for FL 370, 45 min for route contingency and 1000 lbs for reserves. The second one I did using 360000 ZFW adjusted by PSS Loadedit utility, and the same other settings for the fuel calculation. I set the weather for ISA conditions and no winds for this test.In both flights the bird behavior was almost identical, climbing, cruising and landing very softly.I think that the Bob's FDE is great for a wide range of ZFW adjusted by PSS Loadedit utility, at least for short and medium hauls, that load the aircraft with relative low fuel quantity.I will do a couple of long range flights this weekend, using different loadings for a definitive test.Great job, Bob. Maybe you'll be livened up to develop also PSS A319 and A320 FDEs soon.Valter-Brazil

Guest speight

>OK, I managed to reproduce it after some experimenting. This>airspeed control problem is caused by the autothrottle not>being properly synched to the different engine spool times in>my FDE. Happily, PSS have included some rather handy tweak>facilities in the MCDU.>>The fix is to right-click on the PSS MCDU's INIT button, then>press next page button until you see "Controlling EPR...Using>Throttle" in magenta at the top of the MCDU screen. Increase>the Max Acceleration value...I have mine set to 0.003 and it>nails the airspeeds every time. Reducing the value to below>.0025 caused the airspeed to drift fast every time. The exact>setting may (or may not) be CPU-speed or frame-rate dependent>as well.>>I'm adding a note about this setting in the readme.>>Regards>>Bob Scott>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300>Washington, DC>These "Tweaks" in the MCDU -- well, is there anything you've found in the manuals about them Bob? Looks interesting as there is 5 or 6 different pages to play with.Maybe they could be used to make the bus fly better? What dya think?

No, as far as I know they are undocumented. They exist also in the PSS A319-321 panels...I have used it to stabilize 4x-16x accelerated flight a few times, but not played with it much more.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

Guest speight

I changed the roll factor from 8.0 to 4.0 and initially, the roll was much more slow and easy, but soon the plane began to oscillate violently, so I changed back through each setting untill back at 8.0. 7.0 and 8.0 were ok, lower made the plane bank more gently, but with the above problem. I finished up with the original setting.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.