Sign in to follow this  
Guest fullflapsplease

A330 Full auto land problems.

Guest fullflapsplease

Hi all, I just did a full auto land in the 330 to test it out, well, what a nightmare!I had both A/P's in and APPR armed, managed speed and flaps full, but it wouldn't hold the speed at about 4 DME, the engines spooled up and actually accelerated me up to 170 KIAS and thus the G/S hold was terrible and it started to nose dive me in order to maintain the G/S.I obviously pulled the A/P and took over but was very strange and annoying, got any ideas?Cheers.Mark.

Guest vrandar

Mark, it sounds as though you let the speed drop too low or, more likely, a wind shift made your IAS drop very quickly. The result is a TOGA lock which would have shown up in the top left of the PFD.

Guest fullflapsplease

Hi Rob,no, none of that, the plane was in managed not selected speed, which was the computed VLS in the MCDU, and TOGA LK did not occur, everything was fine on the approach until, as I say, about 3-4 DME when all hell broke loose?I was never anywhere near a stall situation.Very strange indeed..........Mark.

Guest Skywalker

1. Try first to use Bob Scott's FDE's2. Suppress or limit gound wind and windshears3. Right press the INIT button, press NEXT until you reach EPR page an increase teh value for elev trim accelleration to 0.00400Rgds, Sam

Guest fullflapsplease

It was a 332 and the landing weight was 330,000 so well within the max parameters.Mark.

Guest fullflapsplease

Ok, so I loaded in Bob Scotts' FDE & AIR file but, I still have the problem with the 332 climbing like a rocket, as it appears it has done for 12 months almost!Are there any fixes for the on-going issues in sight, or is the light at the end of the tunnel 'still' the train coming towards us?Mark.

>Ok, so I loaded in Bob Scotts' FDE & AIR file but, I still>have the problem with the 332 climbing like a rocket, as it>appears it has done for 12 months almost!Proper installation of my alternative FDE requires that you replace both the aircraft.cfg and A332.air files. The new aircraft.cfg file needs the "fltsim.x" sections from the original PSS config file cut-and-pasted in where indicated in the file. A number of folks have erred by replacing only one of the two files (they have the same file names as the original PSS files).Otherwise, if you have done the install as described here, then I would check the station_load declarations in the WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE section of the aircraft.cfg file and make sure that the load is what you expect it to be and that it hasn't been dorked by a loader program. Keep in mind that this plane has nearly 140,000 lbs of thrust available at STP...when lightly loaded it has approximately the same thrust-to-weight ratio as an F-4 Phantom II fighter jet. Lightweight climbs in open climb mode will produce uncomfortably high deck angles as in real life. Also, the flex de-rate logic in the PSS MCDU is wrong...sometimes the MCDU-computed flex EPR turns out to be even higher than computed TOGA EPR. I've found that entering a value of 20-30 degrees *below* ambient temp in the flex temp block on the MCDU perf page will give a halfway reasonable flex power target for lightweight takeoffs and departures.The increasing airspeed on short final issue was reported by a few users of my FDE, with the fix being adjustment of the max acceleration value for "EPR using THROTTLE" (not elevator trim accel). The tuning pages are accessed by right-clicking on the MCDU's INIT key and then scrolling through the various pages with the NEXT key.>>Are there any fixes for the on-going issues in sight, or is>the light at the end of the tunnel 'still' the train coming>towards us?>>Mark.Maybe it's a Concorde landing light.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest fullflapsplease

Hi Bob,thanks for the reply.As you rightly suggest, i have replaced the original files with both of yours and not just the one, I've also cut and pasted the fltsim.x as directed.With regard to the climb performance, I use a take off performance calculator as provided by Roland Wukovits, which, as I'm now generally doing my simming for Emirates in the Middle East, is providing me with flex settings of around 54 with the OAT being in the low to mid 30's and a QnH of around 1008-1012. What do you think of that setting?My flights are generally around 3-5 hours long so I am quite light on take off. I was wondering if the setting, although possibly correct, was too high to run with the PSS MCDU i.e it calculates incorrect EPR?I use the PSS load editor which seems to be giving me the correct ZFW therefore I don't think this is an issue?Thanks again.Mark.

Guest fullflapsplease

Ok, just got a substantially more realistic climb out performance..........TOW = 186,900 KG'sV1 131 VR 131 V2 140FLEX @ 54 Deg.However I didn't use this flex figure, I used Bob Scotts theory about reducing the FLEX by 20-30 deg. below OAT so;OAT = 29 therefore I made the FLEX TEMP 05 deg. I got a much smoother rotation and climb, around 4000-4500 ft/min bearing in mind it was still a fairly light aircraft.The unfortunate thing is, although the rotation and climb are more realistic, now the FLEX TEMP input setting isn't, sigh......PSS, is there any chance of a patch for this problem so the MCDU calculates the correct FLEX EPR using the correct FLEX TEMP setting that is entered?Mark.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.