Sign in to follow this  
tstiegler

Runway length

Hi,maybe I've only missed it but I'm looking for tables or formulas to determine takeoff/landing runway lengths depending on a/c parameters and outside conditions for A319/320/321/330/340.Thanks, Tom.

>Hi,>maybe I've only missed it but I'm looking for tables or>formulas to determine takeoff/landing runway lengths depending>on a/c parameters and outside conditions for>A319/320/321/330/340.No ideas? How do all the serious bus drivers here determine the required runway length for take off or landing?Tom.

Guest vrandar

This is always a tricky one due to the number of factors that go into the calculations. One also has to take into account that although PSS have done well with the modelling they have not modelled every factor in runway takeoff performance. And although flex temps have been modelled I really don't think the effect on thrust is the same as in the real world - probably a limitation of FS rather than anything to do with PSS programming.But if you were looking at a real world A320 the runway length in feet would be in the region of:100% of MTOW - 6600 feet90% of MTOW - 5400 feet80% of MTOW - 4300 feetassuming that it isn't a cluttered runway (which isn't modelled anyway in FS).

Thank you, Rob. I've written down the numbers for the A320. It's clear in my mind that PSS can't simulate every parameter. But how does real world pilots calculate these numbers? Do they use charts or are there computer programs? The Airbus FMC does almost everything but as far as I know it can't compute a required runway length.What I'm looking for is some sort of tool to determine the runway lengths for simulation purposes for the PSS Airbus family as other vendors do supply (PMDG, RFP, ...).Btw.: Scotland has one of the most beautiful landscapes in Europe -- especially the north. You are a lucky man to live there, I have only the oportunity to spend my holidays there from time to time :-)Greetings from Germany, Tom.

Guest vrandar

Increasingly this information is accessed on laptops, but failing that the pilots use charts and tables. No, the MCDU does not compute runway length to use for any given takeoff.As far as I know there is no tool available which we could although if I had the skills I would love to write one.

I do have the programming skills but I'm only an "armchair pilot". So I have neither the data needed nor the experience to interpret them. If there is somebody out there who feels able to take this part, maybe we can create such a tool.Regards, Tom.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.