Sign in to follow this  
Guest valterg

Non-precision approaches in PSS A3xx

Guest valterg

Hello,I would like to know where I can find a good tutorial for setup the PSS A3xx for non-precision approaches (VOR/NDB/LOC). PSS Airbus is a wonderful machine for completely automatic landing (i.e ILS), but I found difficulties to setup properly and conduct the plane for non-precision approaches.Many airports in Brazil doesn't have ILS, including Rio de Janeiro's SBRJ (LOC only). Also, sometimes the glide of some airports is shutoff due maintence, allowing localizer only approaches.If anyone knows how to setup the PSS Airbus and the procedures for these approaches, I thanks in advance.Valter

Guest Niels_C

Hi Valter,Haven't actually tried it much myself, but www.speedbirdonline.co.ukis a treasurecove.Maybe there is a tutorial at PSS' website too?

Guest vrandar

Nice comment, thanks. But I have to confess I haven't done a tutorial for this. I will try to do so over the next week as my wife is away so I'll have some time :)

Guest bjornhall

Hello Valter,While waiting for Rob to get his next tutorial together: The short story is that you need to use selected modes (typically TRK/FPA) for non precision approaches. The exception is the LOC, which could be flown in LOC/FPA. You'd use raw data for reference with the ND set up in VOR mode and whichever navaid you'd use tuned in the NAV RAD page of the FMGC.The other thing we can do is to enter the approach manually, waypoint by waypoint, into the FMGC. The real thing has the approaches stored in the database, with a special FMGS mode to use for non precision approaches, but in the PSS one we'd have to use NAV/FPA for those approaches, if we fly them that way.Hope this helps, for the moment at least ...Best,/Bj

Hi Valter,To start with, try this:PSS AIRBUS NON PRECISION APPROACHES(other than LOC and LOC B/C non precision approaches) Two different approach strategies to perform non-precision approaches are available:1. Lateral and vertical guidance selected by the crew: TRK-FPA (or HDG-V/S) modes.2. Lateral guidance managed by the FM and vertical guidance selected by the crew: NAV-FPA (or NAV-V/S) modes.In the real Airbus a third approach is available (Lateral and vertical guidance managed by the FM). Not possible in the PSS Airbus and not authorized in SAS.APPROACH TECHNIQUEInsert FAF as a new PBD wpt and delete the IF10 wpt and other unnecessary wpt. Set VAPP as a speed constraint and FAA as an altitude constraint. Make an approach using AP/FD and A/THR. The aircraft shall intercept the final descent path at FAF in the landing configuration and at VAPP. Always use managed speed.INITIAL APPROACHAPPROACH HASE ...........................................ACTIVATEManually activate APPR phase on when the distance to FAF is about 10 NM.

Guest merchant

>Nice comment, thanks. But I have to confess I haven't done a>tutorial for this. I will try to do so over the next week as>my wife is away so I'll have some time :)I was wondering whether the non-precision approach tutorial was finished?The tutorial would expand the knowledge base for PSS Airbus products considerably!Thanks,

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.