Sign in to follow this  
Guest ram1220

Ok, I give up!

Guest ram1220

I purchased the Airbus Pro and Frontier "Duck" livery a few days ago. I'm flying the 319. I have read this forum and I have read the manuals. My problem is that I can get airborn but I can not get to cruise level. During my climbout the plane gets to a certain point and then pitches up. Airspeed then drops and the V/S indicator blanks out. When I try to pull on the V/S indicator and reset to +1800 it reads -3400 and the plane just nosedives into the ground before I can get the proper V/S entered again. I thought that maybe I'm too heavy since the fuel tanks are full. But each and everytime I try to change the fuel while setting up the flight, the flight results in a CTD. I have tried to step climb but it never fails, the autopilot pitches up and the V/S display goes to all dashes. For now I have gone back to using the PMDG 737 which works flawlessly. Can anyone help me figure out my problem? I love the Frontier A319 but I have given up on it for now. Oh yea, I've had read about the default flight in the sticky and I'm following that too. Bob

Guest vrandar

What I suspect you are doing is that on initial climbout you are allowing the speed to exceed V2+10 which is shown as the magenta triangle on the speed tape on the PFD. What then happens is that if you select the autopilot before you reach the point where the LVR CLM indicator flashes (in white on the annunciator of the PFD) the computers will try to bring the speed back to V2+10. They will do this by pitching the nose up. If you have gone through V2+10 by some margin this will lead to a major pitch up, a massive drop in airspeed and a stall.The technique is to watch the speed tape and adjust your pitch manually on the climb out so that you keep as close as possible to V2+10. Then when you select a/p the sharp pitch up shouldn't happen. Holding V2+10 is slightly easier on the ifDG/PSS merge than in the "pure" PSS due to different flight dynamics. It does take some practice but it's a necessary skill.By the way, unless you are flying a very long sector you should not need full tanks. Don't forget you burn extra fuel to carry the additional fuel weight. While you might not be worried about the economics, loading the correct fuel is a vital part of flight planning.

Guest ram1220

That might be what's happening. I'm still unable to change the fuel level without having a crash to desktop. So I'm having to fly with full tanks. I just tried another flight from DFW-DEN. This time I was able to climb to FL280 before I fell out of the sky. But what I do notice is the speed drops first and then the nose pitches up. After this starts there is no way to recover. I'll try the slower speed climbout tomorrow when I get the time and see if it helps. What I have been doing is keeping the climb at 250 until 10,000 feet then increasing speed to 275. So what you suggested might help. Thanks for responding. Bob

Since you mentioned speed, it sounds like you are too heavy. Lighten the fuel load, and this should help you a bunch!:-)

Guest ram1220

I tried a flight today from DFW-DEN. My first try I did change the fuel to a much lesser amount. Resulted in a crash to desktop just as I was pushing back. Everytime I change the fuel I get a CTD. On the second attempt I left the tanks at the default full. I was able to climb to FL200 and the damn thing fell out of the sky again. I was not flying too fast. The plane just started to pitch more and more upwards until the speed dropped and the plane stalled. Nothing I could do recovered it. I then loaded up the PMDG 737-700 and completed the flight from start to finish without even a hickup. So I have given up on the Airbus. I feel that I wasted $18US. For me it's just not flyable. Does anyone know if PSS gives a refund? Bob

Guest vrandar

Have you tried a complete reinstall after deleting everything to to with the Airbus?

Guest ram1220

Not yet. I enjoyed flying today with the 737. I might try it tomorrow though. Bob

Guest Adecimbo

I'd like to ask you when during the flight are you engaging the autopilot?managed speed modes?Are you using load edit and the fuel planner?I am by no means an expert at the airbus but on this forum there are some 'guru's who will be able to help you,,there is no need to give up on the Airbus,,i think if you could give us a more detailed insight into your journey like the cruise level altitude and the distance to travel over the amount of fuel and weight,,,e.t.c..what details are you putting into the MCDU..?you mentioned that after 10 000AGL you set the speeed to 275KTS,,,usually the airbus will target a climb speed of about 295-300 knots,,which is why i ask when you are engaging the managed modes and autopilot.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.