Sign in to follow this  
Guest flyby

A330 - A320 autothrust reverse

Guest flyby

Once airborne, has anyone tried moving the thrust control lever into Reverse? It causes FS9 to freeze, as if the gauge code is locked in an infinte loop. It appears to be a bug in the PSS-A330.gau and PSS-A320.gau gauge files. It makes it very difficult to quit back to windows. Tested on XP Pro and 98SE.I'm using v1.0 of the A330 gauge (c/w PSS A330 v1.2), and v1.01 of the A320 gauge. Note: this only happens once you leave the ground.Yes, I know you're not supposed to do this midflight, but it's easy to slip with the mouse, or hit the numpad [-] key, and so I noticed this bug, which is quite fatal to flightsim.The A340 uses the same gauge as the A330, also the A319, A320, A321 all use the A320 gauge.Perhaps Alex Bashkatov might know?

Guest Niels_C

Hi there,I've been a PSS customer for quite a while, and I've never engagedthrust reverse in-flight. Interesting issue though.

Guest vrandar

Now the question is: why on earth would you want to use reverse thrust once airborne? It's a bit similar to engaging reverse in your car on the motorway: not really a very good idea!

Guest flyby

Yes I agree, it's not a good practive to do on purpose :) But, it shouldn't lock up FS, that's for sure.It's possible to do this accidentally, either when you're switching from auto thrust to manual (and release the mouse button too late). Or, while in flight, accidentally press the numpad - key.Could either of you (or anyone else), verify whether this occurs on their systems as well?

Guest rds_mcleod

>Now the question is: why on earth would you want to use>reverse thrust once airborne? It's a bit similar to engaging>reverse in your car on the motorway: not really a very good>idea!Well, here's one:I was on a flight from Montreal CYUL to Toronto CYYZ one fine afternoon - and back in the Time Tunnel - when the Air Canada DC8 Captain announced that ATC had requested they descend immediately to 14K to accomodate traffic. He said it would be noisy (it was), but that it was quite safe. Hell of a ride though! ;-)Ron McLeod - CYEG

Guest RampRat

Will the Flight Systems even allow you to open the REV's while airbourne?I didn't that tha tyou could even do that.

Guest rds_mcleod

>Will the Flight Systems even allow you to open the REV's>while airbourne?>>I didn't that tha tyou could even do that.Don't recall, but I doubt it. If they stuck deployed my guess is the flight would be over. ;-)Ron

Guest vrandar

ATC might have instructed a rapid descent but reverse thrust would never be used. The inadvertent use of reverse thrust in flight led to the breakup in flight of a Lauda 767. Most aircraft now have sync locks installed which prevent the thrust reverse sleeves from moving when they are not commanded.

>ATC might have instructed a rapid descent but reverse thrust>would never be used. The inadvertent use of reverse thrust in>flight led to the breakup in flight of a Lauda 767. Most>aircraft now have sync locks installed which prevent the>thrust reverse sleeves from moving when they are not>commanded.Except for DC-8s! The DC-8s were not equiped with spoilers, so Douglas made the # 2 & 4 engines reversable in flight.:-)

I have to agree, reverse thrust is not used in flight on any Airbus. However the Concorde in the other hand allows reverse thrust in flight to increase the rate of decent.

Guest rds_mcleod

>Except for DC-8s! The DC-8s were not equiped with spoilers, so>Douglas made the # 2 & 4 engines reversable in flight.You've revived my memory on that one Dan. I knew it was a DC8, but wasn't sure how we achieved such a steep descent. Your explanation confirms it.Ron McLeod - CYEG

Guest flyby

While those stories are quite interesting, no one has answered my question yet.Could anyone, verify whether this lockup, occurs on their systems as well?

Guest RampRat

I tryed to reproduce this thrust reverse while airborne yesterday. I wasn't able to to deploy the reversers at all.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.