Sign in to follow this  

Scenery Installation Questions

I am fairly new to FS2K2 and scenery installation. Have been installing scenery mostly for Alaska bush flying. Have Denny mesh, some Erickson Landclass and a number of others (e.g. Naji, etc.). I load most add on scenery in a folder FSScenery. Two problems seem to be recurring: (1) I get a "building collision" when I go to spot plane view and move around the plane to see what everything looks like (e.g. Alaska Docks 1 at Juneau) and (2) at some airports when I get ready to fly the bottom part of the a/c, wheels etc. are in the ground and if I am flying and try to land it's like I sink 4-5' into the ground. Have read about lowering runway, but Dave Erickson says that should not be necessary with his scenery and I am having most of the problem with airports after installing his Alaska Commuter 9 package. I have installed it exactly as he suggests. It is not only his airports where I am having the problem and I am not having it with all of his so I think it must be something more than installation of that package. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.John SouleAustin, Texas

In reply to your first question, there's a bug in FS2002 that affects the spot plane view and causes collisions. It seems as though the roving "camera" acts somewhat as an aircraft itself, and is sometimes offset from the actual plane you're looking at. Somehow it can crash into things even when the plane isn't near them. The only fix I've seen so far is to turn off collisions under the aircraft realism settings.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest Barney1

You're using different editions of the same scenery area created by different authors who used different techniques and called upon different values for elevation. It's the elevation conflict(s) that you're experiencing. Chances are that if you were to utilize one scenery add-on for a particular area and disable the remainder, things would possibly improve. I say "possibly" because one must still contend with the default elevation, where applicable, conflicting with the add-on that you choose to enable.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will see what I can do, but for most of the airports where I am having problem I have only one scenery installed (other than default, I suppose), other than Ed Denny's mesh, which the scenery is supposed to work with. I will try disabling the Erikson Alaska Commuter 9 scenery and see what happens. Very frustrating for a newbie. John

Hey John,I just posted a possible solution over in the BFU forums. Hope it helps. I didn't know you'd posted over here as well :-)