Sign in to follow this  
Guest avalon243

A330 SEESAW CLIMB BEHAVIOUR

Guest avalon243

I've asked this before, but got no answer.This happens with my Airbus 330-300 RR: SEESAW IN MANAGED CLIMB.Here is the situation: FP entered in MCDU.Managed speed, alt and hdg. Level at 6000.At beginning of climb.Climb from 6000 to 31000.(i.e. left click on ALT - or push, for managed mode}Altimeter set to STD.Aircraft climbs very slowly, rocking up and down like a see-saw. The nose dips to about level then pitches up, then drops to about level, then pitches up -- all the way to 31000.Pitch goes from minus 2 to +22, nose dropping up and down.Speed increases slowly until about 291.Eventually reaches TOC.Is this seesaw climb behaviour normal, or am I doing something wrong?Another user had the same problem. I pm'd him to ask if he got it resolved and he said he had just given up on the Airbus. I think that is a pity because I love the design and detail.

Hi Avalon243I saw your post and decided to try and repeat your problem. However there are so many parameters that will need checking in making a flight that i just decided to make a flight in the normal way that i would set up a managed AP flight using your values that you published. The plane behaved properly and climbed from 6000 ft to 31000 feet in a good manner.This would suggest that you may have a problem with your set up, but not necessarily, as an engineer I know that you cannot compare results unless the test situations are identical. If you want to contact me at john_calleja88@hotmail.com we may be able to set up say a multiplayer flight and discuss setups so that we can be totally identical in weights and measures etc, which there isn't space to do that on the forum then maybe we can see why our planes vary so differently....by the way my test flight is without any external or real weather to upset things, but we can work on stuff like that.John Calleja

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Guest gkrangers

The A320/330/340 climb normally up to 10,000 feet. If you are in managed speed and alt, it will level off at 10,000 feet for a few seconds while the speed increases (since you are above 10,000ft, 250kts is no longer the limit). Then the climb will continue smoothly to whatever altitude you set.

Guest avalon243

Many thanks to both of you for your help.Just after I wrote the post, I put in Bob Scott's file and the 'porpoising' (what a great term!) is gone. :) Just a little dip at 10,000 as mentioned, then a flawless climb to FL310.I'll pm the other user who had this problem to see if this works for him.Thanks again.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.