Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Manually landing the PSS A320....

Seeing as I haven't heard of this issue mentioned, I'm wondering does anybody have trouble manually landing the PSS A320??? The problem I have with this bird is I can't manually land her after medium to short haul flights. If I get cleared for a visual approach causing me to shut off the autopilot, the controls almost become useless. She is fine doing an autolanding but 'no-joy' on a manual approach. It's almost like the autopilot doesn't totally disconnect, in fact that's exactly what it is...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Dillon I have never had that problem. I actually find it pretty responsive. I had practiced manual landings from 500ft to 1000ft to higher using the LOC and then disonnecting the autopilot at the above mentioned altitudes. I never ran into the Autopilot not disconnecting. I would just turn it off on the MCP and hand fly it. Sorry I couldnt be of more help but having never run into the problem I dont know what it could be.

Even when you manually land the A320 and the AP is off, you have to remember to return the autothrottle to 0 when getting ready to touch down. I had a few mishaps landing until I discovered that one.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

you need to reach under your desk and pull the ap curcuit board out!:-xxrotflmao oh man, sorry i couldnt resistciao!Brian S

Ciao!

I forgot to mention I'm using it in FS2k4....

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest DZollner

I have the same problem. It doesn't matter if I use my CH yoke or my Sidewinder 2 FF stick. Once I disconnect the autopilot the aircraft is all over the place with minimal control input. The funny thing is, if I hit W to hide the main panel, the aircraft starts to behave as it should. This has led me to believe that there is something in the panel logic that is screwing with certain aspects in FS9 that wasn't a problem in FS2K2. I've written off the A319/A32X and have decided not to get the A330/340 package either, fearing that it suffers from the same thing. It's a shame, I really enjoyed flying the bus in FS2K2.

Just about the same thing. (Just bought the A319/A320/A321 package).Example: Making an ILS approach to KLWB. This is an offset approach that will put you a bit high and to the right of the runway if you try an autoland which mandates turning the autopilot off and making the final stage of the approach manually. I turn everything off that I can, but the approach light remains on no matter what I do. I have no control over the airplane at all with the yoke and the plane continues to make its own approach automatically by itself.I have had the exact same problem with the A340 for a long time. This has been an intermittent situation with it in that once engaged, some of the time there is absolutely no way to disengage the autopilot without just changing planes and starting over. other times it disengages and one can take over manually. I have never been able to find the key, nor some time back was anyone able to offer a solution. If I remember correctly since it has been a little while since I flew the A340, this happens anywhere, (i.e. at altitude) not just on an ILS approach. Looks like exactly the same thing with the A320 series.I hope somebody has an answer after all of these months.Respectfully:RTH

Guest ajmitch1951

I've been having major problems with the Airbus Pro set, with autopilot and MCDU misbehaving. John Helsby sent me a test flight to try out, but there is no problem with that. I have been having persistent crashes to desktop when pressing the insert key on the MCDU whilst inputting a flight plan. The other major problem is doing an ILS approach after flying manually. First problem there is that no matter what I do, my joystick's throttle will not control the 'bus. Keypad keys 9 and 3 work, as do F1, F2, F3 and F4 - as well as the keypad + and - for the autothrottle.I set up a flight for an approach to EHAM 9R - the flight opens with the aircraft on a heading of 156 at 3000' ready to intercept the localiser. I open the MCDU, select Rad Nav and input the ILS frequency and heading to runway 9R - 109.5MHz and 185 degrees. AP intercepts the localiser and I press APPR on the FCU, select flaps 1, select AP2 as well. As the glideslope is intercepted, select full flaps and gear down. At retard, disengage autopilot and autothrottle and press F1 for throttle idle and select reverse thrust, but aircraft just keeps on at 180Kts. Eventually it crashes into a building. The situation resets and we are on the approach again, but now I have no control over the FCU whatsoever, all the buttons are locked out.Tony

Guest bjornhall

FWIW, I have identified two things that seem to trigger that particular type of bug (can't be 100% certain though; I don't intend to spend any time specifically testing it ...).1. Loading a saved flight, in particular one where the flight is saved with the autopilot in a state where the elevators control pitch (CLB, OP CLB etc).2. Fiddling with the autopilot at low altitude during approach. Specifically, below 100 ft or so, the autopilot might not disengage correctly, and after the autothrottle starts retarding thrust, you seem to have no more control over it (i.e., the aircraft does not seem to have any go around capability below 50 ft ...).One more thing: If the autoflight systems do get screwy and you are locked out from manual controls, but you still want to be able to land the flight, it seems it sometimes works to fly the plane from the virtual cockpit.Tony, how do you disengage the autothrottle "at retard"? If you use the - key, things should work; if you hit the A/THR FCU key, things will likely get screwy ...Another thing I have noticed, ever since the first release of the 777 for FS2000, is that PSS's autoflight systems in general do not seem to take kindly to too much fiddling. Flying a "normal" flight, where you use the systems as they would Normally be used (not necessarily how they Could be used IRL), things will normally work. But, if you start doing things like flying touch and goes, multiple go arounds etc, you can expect things to get a bit weirdo from time to time ... Not so much of a problem IMHO, as long as you're aware of and used to it.Hope some of the above thoughts are useful ... Best,/Bj

Guest ajmitch1951

Thanks for that Bj

As my name states, I do fly on AWACS and "no joy" means 'don't see it, still looking.' Maybe it can mean "no good" also, but ust thought I'd add that.Thaks,Jeff Smith USAF

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest vrandar

Why are you messing with the autothrust button on the FCU? I never ever deselect it unless I am planning a fully manual approach (very rare indeed, last one was over a year ago). Unless I'm mistaken Airbus SOP states that under normal circumstances it should remain on throughout the flight - after all the computers are better at computing the correct thrust than you or I ever will be.

Guest bjornhall

>Unless I'm mistaken Airbus SOP states that under normal>circumstances it should remain on throughout the flight ->after all the computers are better at computing the correct>thrust than you or I ever will be.Actually, that is only partly true ... Airbus do say this:"During line operations, AP and A/THR should be engaged throughout the flight especially in marginal weather conditions or when operating into an unfamiliar airport."But they also say:"Use the correct level of automation for the task. ... The correct level of automation often is the one the pilot feels comfortable with for the task or for the prevailing conditions, depending on his/her own knowledge and experience of the aircraft and systems. Reversion to hand flying and manual thrust control actually may be the correct level of automation, depending on the prevailing conditions."and:"At any time, if the aircraft does not follow the desired flight path and/or airspeed, do not hesitate to revert to a more direct level of automation, i.e.: ... and/or, − disengage the A/THR and control the thrust manually."So in the end, it's up to the pilot's judgement... His judgement might be right or wrong, but acting according to his own judgement is always right.The above quotes come from a very interesting piece on the use of automation in the Airbus Safety library:http://www.airbus.com/pdf/about/safety/FLT_OPS-SOP-SEQ02.pdfBest,/Bj

Guest chroma

just a few ideas for you i earlier had trouble with:i had some problems with a/p when my first installation of fs9, because i tweaked a lot and had set different keys for disengage the a/p with joystick button in addition.also if i disengage autothrottle and i want to get manual control with joystick-throttle, i have to move it quite some way to make the manual control kick in. I always do a "fast" move of the throttle quite near to max and back to where it should be. doesn't do any wrong, because the engines can't react that fast.i think u know this issue, but its so important: default startup flight is best a simple fs9 plane with avionics on, and don't miss the updated panel.cfg.cheerschris>Seeing as I haven't heard of this issue mentioned, I'm>wondering does anybody have trouble manually landing the PSS>A320??? The problem I have with this bird is I can't manually>land her after medium to short haul flights. If I get cleared>for a visual approach causing me to shut off the autopilot,>the controls almost become useless. She is fine doing an>autolanding but 'no-joy' on a manual approach. It's almost>like the autopilot doesn't totally disconnect, in fact that's>exactly what it is...

Guest vrandar

Yes I have the Airbus docs but I've rarely met an Airbus pilot who preferrd to use manual thrust over the computed settings except in the simulator. In our sim I would expect the conditions to require it very very rarely indeed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.