Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Manually landing the PSS A320....

Hi GuysTo do a Manual landing with the Airbus you have to.Turn of The Auto Pilot A/P and Flight Director F/D on the MCU/ Main Panel.Leave the Auto Thrust A/THR ON in Auto Mode, do not turn that of.If you do not turn off the F/D you will have very little control over the Bus.So A/P and F/D - OFF and A/THR - ONHope this helpsRegardsJannier

Regards
Jannie Roelofse

Flight1 Software Project Manager

This is what I usualy do (f/d off ap off, a-throttle on) except that sometimes when I disengage the flight director, the bus becomes nastier trim-wise. Regardless of whether I leave the flight director on or off in manual approaches, I usually see the elevator trim automatically adjusting itself, as if trying to adjust to my glidepath. Sometimes the trims start dancing all over the place, fighting against my control inputs. This usually happens when I deactivate the flight director as well. For example, last week I was 1000'AGL fully automated (ap 1+2, f/d and a-trottle) when I decided to take it manually. I disengaged first the autopilots and then the f/d. But the aircraft kept "wanting" to point the nose up, which I tried to override by manually trimming the aircraft. Didn't work. What is the real world procedure? To leave the f'd off as well? Please help!

Guest rara_bb

Hello captain,I can only speak for Lufthansa, and things might be handled in a different way at BAW. However:At Lufthansa, when flying without autopilot, autothrust is always disengaged. Furthermore, handflying the approach is always the standard procedure. Autoland is only permitted in CAT III conditions, or when there are any other special circumstances that prevent pilots from landing manually. In fact, autoland is even forbidden in SOP.Greetings!Ben

Guest bjornhall

As far as real world procedures go, the FD should be off when handflying a visual approach. However, if you are handflying an ILS approach, with the FD engaged in the APPR mode (as in your example), you could leave the FD on if you want it.In more general terms, the FD MUST be off if the pilot does not intend to follow the FD commands. If he does intend to follow the FD, the FD can be on when handflying.Best,/Bj

Guest rara_bb

>At Lufthansa, when flying without autopilot, autothrust is>always disengaged.I might have to correct myself a litte here; this applies to the approach phase only, of course. In climb phase, autothrust is always engaged.BEn

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.