Sign in to follow this  

request: an unbiased pss777 opinion

Guest ha5mvo

I am thinking of getting the pss 777, before I do I would like to get some opinions on it. I am particularly concerned as it is a FS2000 product - still I was quite pleased so far with the quality of PSS( I have the airbus and the dash).the visual model is not that important for me, what I would realy like to know is your view on the panel and flight behaviour.If you can, would you please point out the products stronger points or/and its glitches.ThanksMike

Mike,As a general principle, I think it is brilliant, but see my new post re climb rates in VNav mode - I honestly don't know whether that is me or it!!Rob

Guest flightpro08

I've owned the PSS777 panel since the day they upgraded it for FS2k2. While it's not the greatest panel in the world, it's by far the best 777 panel available, and it more than gets the job done. It also merges perfectly with Mel's awesome new gMAX 777 model (with some tweaks of course.)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Tester-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 42.01 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Guest groundpounder75

It's not a bad panel at all to have in your hanger. It does have an FMC-CDU which is nice and it flys like a dream. The biggest bug I feel is the ability for the 777 to capture the glideslope. It is really bad. I have read other posts of people complaining about the same issue. I prefer to hand fly it if I am doing flight around an hour in length and landing it is always fun when doing it by hand. I have also experienced the steep climb rates with VNAV engaged. I would say it is a must have for any flight simmer that loves to fly the heavies. But, I have read in the PSS forum that PSS is going to re-release new GMAX versions of their 744 and 772. You might want to wait for them if you can. The panels and sounds are going to be updated.

As with most of PSS products, they are limited in funtionality compared to other venders. That said, they are also usually the first to explore new technologies. By todays standards, the 777 is a dated product however it is still the only payware 777 panel available I believe. BUT WAIT - PSS has announced a complete upgrage for the 777 including GMAX modeling and a complete panel rebuild. Do not purchase yet unless you are unable to wait 4-6 months (possibly post fs2k4) or you have excessive funds.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest ha5mvo

Thanks for the info.I guess I'll wait with it.

Guest CharlesH

Hi:I believe that PSS 777 is still the best 777 panel on the market today. Although it was made for FS2000, PSS has made it work for FS2002 and it does indeed work well. From what I understand, PSS will in the future will update both panel and aircraft. PSS support is great and they will help answer any questions you may have. Its the best money I have spent so far. Well worth buying it.Charles

I think the panel is excellent too. Its a shame you can't use airways though. If you're a person who likes flying the 777 you can't pass it up :)PSS Panel & Sounds combined with MelJet's 777-200 is heaven to a fan of the mighty Triple Seven!

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

>As with most of PSS products, they are limited in >funtionality compared to other venders. That said, they are Like what?I don't know any other company producing products that are AS complete in functionality as PSS.>also usually the first to explore new technologies. By >todays standards, the 777 is a dated product however it is >still the only payware 777 panel available I believe. >That is true. It is starting to show its age but we can't blame PSS for not including things that weren't possible 2+ years ago...>BUT WAIT - PSS has announced a complete upgrage for the 777 >including GMAX modeling and a complete panel rebuild. Do >not purchase yet unless you are unable to wait 4-6 months >(possibly post fs2k4) or you have excessive funds. I guess they'll offer an upgrade path for existing users. They did for the current version (which is version 2) I think.

you know, I get this comment a lot and I am always surprised. I own the 777, 747, PSS DASH and Airbus Pro products and do enjoy them. But it is obvious that they DO lack in functionality of the aircraft systems and avionics that are supplied by other venders. Yes, I understand that they are often all that is available in that specific aircraft type. Again, I state, they DO LEAD IN THE INTIAL RELEASE (usually);DIRECT COMPARISONS:777 vs ?there is no currently available product that competes in this aircraft. The FMS is nominally 70% compared to the real thing, also not all of the major system are implemented. A first and only, yes, but does not degrade my original statement.747 vs ?ditto aboveFMS is considered 50% compared to real thing (I have the 747 FMS user manual 'Butler' plus PS1 areowinx product as comparison). Do I expect MSFS product to match these, not in a million years. However, my statement still stands as to funtionality.Airbus Pro vs either PIC767 or DreamFleet 737There is no product available to date that simulates to the depth and expanse as does the PIC767 for MSFS (there is no debate on that), if you own that product you know what I am talking about. Even the DF737 functionality exceeds the PSS product here from the FMS through all major systems. Dont speak in terms of 'how does one compare and airbus to a boeing??' - simple, I dont. We are speaking of systems and avionic completeness only.DASH vs freeware dashAgain, as I stated, PSS lacks somewhat in systems. This product though it has excellent visuals and I use it a lot. It simply is not as complete as the popular freeware version (i.e. the entire hydraulic system is not even mentioned). Yes the PSS offers a FMS, but again this component is only 30-40% complete. I own a real DASH 200 FMS system guide and will not debate item for item here. One only has to look at the PSS FMS and note the extensive number of non-operation keys and selections that are bitmapped displayed.All this said, I LIKE and do OWN these PSS product, I use and enjoy them. But let me reiterate here, 1)they do tend to trade funtionality for visual (that is OK by me) 2)the 777 is marked for upgrade, as stated by PSS.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

I recently purchased both 747 and 777 (and 2 liveries). I first was a little bit reluctant to buy these old products, but at the second I heard they were going to be upgraded in 2003, I went to get them. I'm sure there will be an interesting upgrade path for previous owners, and that's what made the decision for me.Also, not many people know PSS has a really aggressive discount rate system when you buy multiple items at the same time. One aircraft is 10 pounds, but 2 aircrafts are only 16.40 pounds instead of 20, (or 18.90 pounds with 2 liveries, instead of 30).I think the price has to be taken into account, and personnaly, at this price, I think they are absolutely valuable. As said by others, they may not be 100% feature complete, but they are well enough complete to keep me busy for all the time I can spend with FS.Eric.