Sign in to follow this  
CraigC

Forums acting up?

Just checking to make sure its not my pc. Seems like the forums are acting a little funny right now....Craig

Guest Brent Hebert

Maybe it didn't get its morning dose of Pepcid or Maalox. :-lol Brent Hebert

Well, messages werent showing up, and normally the software automatically enters in the original subject into your reply subject line and it wasnt doing that either...it seems fine the last couple of times Ive tried to re-enter, was just a few minutes it was doing that. I guess I dont know how it could be my pc, but was just making sure that I wasnt having a problem with my browser somehow.Craig

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Don't see any problems here, although the other site's forums were down for most of the day it seems.

Hmmmmm, well maybe it was just a small burp of the forum software. I had to reformat my HD in FAT32 last night to install 98 to see if some hardware worked, and after reformatting back to NTFS to reinstall XP, my system has been doing some strange things. I might have to do a low level format just to be 100% sure the drive is clean.Craig

Last I heard, low-level formats weren't good for IDE hdd's.... Especially the low-level format utility in the BIOS (if it has one).....If you must try a low level format, try to download a 3rd party utility.Might have just had a bad install. Try removing all the partitions, recreate them and reinstall XP again. I would only do a low-level format as an absolutely last resort.... :)Of course, I could be wrong about it being bad for IDE drives, but I did hear it from a computer tech teacher.... :)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Well, I should correct myself. I still refer to it as a low level format, but these days its called a zero-fill. Basically just writes zeros across the entire drive to restore it to factory new condition (most of the time). The drive I use for my OS is a Maxtor, so I use their HD utilities. Ive used their zero-fill utility a couple of times and from what I can recall it did a nice job as I noticed a more stable installation. If I remember right, it seems I always have problems if I have to reinstall win98 for whatever reason and then format and reinstall XP. You would think that the format would take care of any left over information from 98, but maybe it just covers it up while the information is there the whole time until written over by the new install.Craig