Sign in to follow this  
Guest jgcomp

SID/STAR Selection in MCDU

Guest jgcomp

I have a question for those knowledgeable pilots commenting on this forum from time to time:What are the rules governing the selection of a SID or STAR when programming the MCDU? In other words, what makes a pilot to choose a SID or a STAR against another one when programming the MCDU. Does one need charts to study or is it always given by ATC (when there is one) or else?I use FSBuild for flight plans. While they can be exported to PSS, I prefer to program myself the MCDU with the information I get from FSBuild. Plans are very well accepted and are flown nicely. However, I have encountered occasions, for example, when the injection of a STAR in the MCDU (as proposed by the MCDU) creates problems for the A320. It has difficulties to manoeuver very short turns and then land properly with a proper alignment. I mean it seems that the aircraft would do much better without a STAR because the STAR adds a few additional little legs which, at times, appear counterproductive because they overfly points already in the flight plans.Your experts advice will be much appreciated. Jean-Guy Paradis

Guest vrandar

Where STARs exist for an approach they should be flown as that is what ATC (particularly online ATC with VATSIM) will expect. The choice of STAR will often be dictated by the direction the aircraft is coming from - you would not normally select a STAR starting in the south if you are coming from the north. I also use FSBuild on many occasions (although not so often now for British Airways Virtual flights as we have preferred flight plans) but then check the STAR where I can against the charts and use the chart info if it is not exactly the same as the STAR that has been programmed into the MCDU. But having said that I have generally found most FSBuild SIDs and STARs to be pretty good.

Guest XavierVN

>I have a question for those knowledgeable pilots commenting>on this forum from time to time:>What are the rules governing the selection of a SID or STAR>when programming the MCDU? In other words, what makes a pilot>to choose a SID or a STAR against another one when programming>the MCDU. Does one need charts to study or is it always given>by ATC (when there is one) or else?In real life and in online community's like Vatsim, the SID's are indicated by ATC. They can and mostly depends on runway in use, type of aircraft and other factors like day/night SID's.Further to Rob Elliot's reply, the STAR's are can also be related to Runway / aircraft category.>I use FSBuild for flight plans. While they can be exported to>PSS, I prefer to program myself the MCDU with the information>I get from FSBuild. Plans are very well accepted and are flown>nicely. However, I have encountered occasions, for example,>when the injection of a STAR in the MCDU (as proposed by the>MCDU) creates problems for the A320. It has difficulties to>manoeuver very short turns and then land properly with a>proper alignment. I mean it seems that the aircraft would do>much better without a STAR because the STAR adds a few>additional little legs which, at times, appear>counterproductive because they overfly points already in the>flight plans.Someone correct me if I am wrong. The STAR's ends with the initial approach fix (IAF) and from there starts the approach pattern that you can find on the approach charts, it is mostly the case in Europe.This approach pattern lead you in most cases to a smooth intercept of the ILS. Those approach patterns are not included in PSS, or not completely. They end at the IAF or another FIX close to the beginning of the final approach (IF). This indeed can lead your Airbus to make very short turns. You will not have this problem if you follow the FS ATC instructions, or better, follow the online ATC instructions, and if no ATC available, use the charts :-) Regards,Xavier

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.