Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fournietje

How to start up on a short rwy with A330

Guest Fournietje

Hallo guysWhat do I change in the configuration or FMC for take off with the A330 (but also with the A320,321,...) when I take off on a short runway (vb. LOWI rwy 26 = rwy is to short for A330).What do I changeThanks for your help

Guest vrandar

Well the normal SOP is that if the runway is too short for your aircraft type then you don't try to take off from it :)Having said that, Austrian Airways did land and takeoff an A330 at LOWI in October 2000, the largest aircraft ever to do this and the only time it has been done I think (see airliners.net for the photos).For runway 26 make sure you are very light as Austrian were and it must be a TOGA thrust takeoff because of the short runway. I managed it quite smoothly in an A330-200 with a ZFW of 150 tonnes and fuel at 7.4 tonnes for the short 217 mile flight to LOWW. V1=142 , Vr=148, V2=150, trim = -2.0UP, config= 1+F, thrust = TOGA. A couple of photos are attached.

Monarch have this problem at Newcastle, when operating flights to Sanford. From what I've learnt, its a Flap 3 dep whilst setting TOGA thrust, and holding it on the brakes till TOGA is reached, from what I here, theres not much runway left once the main undercarrige leaves the ground!

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.