Sign in to follow this  
Guest dennis747

Flying a "Heavy" A340

Guest dennis747

Hi, I have been trying some long haul flights with the A340 and have a few questions especially about the take-off and initial climb. The weight set up is normally around 162000 kg ZFW and 95000 kg of Fuel.-How do I set full TOGA thrust for take-off instead of using FLEX setting? I noticed that even using FLEX 30 (which I assume gives more thrust than the default FLEX 42) the 340 seems to take forever to reach VR speed and in a few cases it actually over-ran the end of a 3500m long runway.-Is flap 3 setting used normally for heavy take-offs? I use flap 2 most of the time and notice that even if I manage to get the 340 airborne it refuses to climb. Perhaps it's my flap setting?-How should I set the thrust reduction and acceleration altitudes for a heavy take-off? I have tried using 1500/1500 and 1500/3000 but still can't get a good balance between rate of climb and speed increase.-What is the cost index normally used for a "real" A340 on long haul flights? Many thanks for any help.Dennis

Guest SIX

>-How do I set full TOGA thrust for take-off instead of using>FLEX setting? I noticed that even using FLEX 30 (which I>assume gives more thrust than the default FLEX 42) the 340>seems to take forever to reach VR speed and in a few cases it>actually over-ran the end of a 3500m long runway.====Just click the "+" one more time after it switches to FLX.>-Is flap 3 setting used normally for heavy take-offs? I use>flap 2 most of the time and notice that even if I manage to>get the 340 airborne it refuses to climb. Perhaps it's my flap>setting?=====Flap 3 should do it. I actually never use TOGA and use only FLEX and have no problems getting her in the air. Last evening I took off from KLAX for WSSS (almost 8,000nm). Almost full of fuel and she rotated on FLEX about 200ft from the runway with a ZFW 372,636. I use ACLoader to load my birds and it does a better job, I don't care what anybody says.>-How should I set the thrust reduction and acceleration>altitudes for a heavy take-off? I have tried using 1500/1500>and 1500/3000 but still can't get a good balance between rate>of climb and speed increase.==========Good question...I will leave that for somebody else.>-What is the cost index normally used for a "real" A340 on>long haul flights? ==========Another good one, I know that Qantas usually has a CI of 125 on 767ER birds, but that is Boeing and I ain't going!Wilson HinesUAL006VHQCCSenior Vice President, Corporate Communicationshttp://virtual.united.com --------------------------------------Proficiencies: PSS 747,777, A3xx, CS 727,PMDG 737-700---------------------------------------FS2002|ActiveSky|FSRealTime|FSBuild2|FSNav|Jep SimCharts2|ACLoaderhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/checkcapt.jpghttp://heavylhc.com/images/av/anna.jpg

Guest mikado

Cost Index is usually set by the operator. On a recent Airbus charter I flew the Pilot told me the CI he used was 25 which, I understand, means slow and economical.Hope this helpsTony

Guest vrandar

Move the thrust levers (+) until they are in the TOGA gate. Whatever is in the FLEX temp on the MCDU won't apply and TOGA thrust will be commanded. You can also tell that you are have selected TOGA thrust when you are on the takeoff roll as it will say this in the top left of the PFD in white underneath MAN, whereeas if using flex it gives the flex.Acceleration Altitude: The BA Airbus Training Study Guide states: "The acceleration altitude may be specified but is normally 1000ft AAL".CI for the A340: I attach an table I've copied from an Airbus document about Cost Index for the A340.

Guest dormehlexpert

Hi Dennis,TOGA is one more + after selecting FLEX. I personnally use TOGA for heavy weight take-off's - gives good acceleration all round.Use FLAP 1 for take-off! This is the TO flap setting for A340. Flap 1 allows good accel to Vr at heavy TO weights. You will notice that this flap 1 retracts in multiple phases during climb out.I use a thrust reduction alt of 1800 ft (Heavy wt TO).I would suggest that you overide SRS with HDG select after TO. Do not retract flaps before you enter LVR climb and only retract after 180 kts and more. Only start your turn when you have a climb speed of +- 200 kts accelerating (specifically for extreme heavy weight climb out). Be particularly careful of the auto turn as SRS switches to NAV. The nose pitching moments during the turn at safety climb speed (170 kts) can cause a speed decay into A-FLOOR.Cost index of 25 sounds good for long haul!Good Luck!Don DormehlSouth African Supporter of PSS A330/340

Guest dennis747

Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions and information. Most helpful. Will try a few more "Heavy" take-offs and see how it goes.Regarding the cost index used on real A340 flights, I just came across some Virgin Atlantic A340 flight plans. HKG/LHR on a "max. payload" A340-300 and CI used was 50. (compared to a CI of 140 used on the A340-600 on the same route)Dennis

Dennis:Before the takeoff run, make sure you setting enough "up" trim. I find that 2.0 is working well (I don't know what is used in the real world, which varies with configuration and weight).Fabio

Guest dennis747

Thanks Fabio... I forgot to ask about trim setting in my original post.How do I adjust the "UP" trim in the A340 panel? I enter it in the FMGS in the TO Flap/trim section on the take-off page. I usually set around 3 to 3.5 units UP for a heavy take-off. Does the FMGS set the trim wheels automatically or do I have to do it manually using the trim wheels on the center pedestal?Dennis

Dennis:I could be wrong, but there is no connection between the Flap/trim settings in the FMGS and the actual aircrat trim (I would have to ask somebody from Phoenix Sim.). I have mapped the trim to buttons in my joystick. Otherwise, make sure NUM LOCK is on, and use the "1" (up) and "7" (down) keys on the numeric pad for setting trim. On the main panel, click the FLT CTL button to see what the trim settings are.Hope this helps.Fabio

Guest dormehlexpert

Dennis I use a trim setting of 2.7 UP for heavy T/O's. Select F/CTRL on the lower ECAM (this will enable to see trim setting) and make sure you have the trim functions assigned to your joystick etc.RegardsDon DormehlProud South African Supporter of PSS Products

Guest Edwin

Hello,I just tried flying AC007 from CYVR to VHHH and immediately ran into problems after takeoff so I decided to search the forum for an answer. Found this topic and thought perhaps I could revive it.I'm using Bob Scott's 1.2J FDEs. My TOW was near maximum (at 595,798 lbs). TOMAFLEX suggested I use flaps 3 and FLEX of 39 degrees Celsius with a V1 of 147kts, Vr of 159kts and V2 of 166kts. My trim was at 2.0UP. Takeoff on 26L was (obviously) slow but with Bob's latest FDEs, I rotated with a comfortable margin of runway still ahead of me. Gear up was fine and I reached V2+10. I pulled the throttle back to CLB when the LVR CLB message appeared. That was when I ran into problems: I lost airspeed very quickly. Even leveling off at 2,000ft wouldn't stop the loss of airspeed. Soon, I hit A-FLOOR and started stalling into the sea.So, my question is, should I have ignored the LVR CLB message and left the throttle to FLX? Is this done in real life for heavy takeoffs?I noticed that CLB gave ~88% N1 while FLX 39 degrees gave ~97%. Is there any way I could adjust the CLB throttle setting such that the throttle reduction isn't as marked?Thanks in advance for any advice.Edwin

Guest bisinchi

I Edwin,I recently experienced similar issues when doing a heavy take off (take off weight was 547000 lbs). on my first attempt, I used Toga, but that didn't deliver enough power to take off (about 91%N1), then I decided to just use the throttle (manual throttle) for take off and clim, as it gave me enough power to do it, other wise I would run into problems. I have to try amending the Flex values. Regards,Francois

See my post in the pinned topic at the top of forum re: flex takeoffs.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest bisinchi

Hi Bob,Thanks for your comments, they are helpful!!Regards,Francois

Guest S Hilmerby

Hi1. Do NOT use flap 3 for takeoff, normal flap is 1+F or 2. Then you will not have any problems with the clean up, just remember that S will be well into the red flap overspeed area. The flaps will auto retract at 200kts. This is normal, and flap should not be set to 0 intil S is passed.2. Use cost index 100 (will give M.82 during cruise). Index 50 will give long range cruise. (Standard settings for SAS).3. Normal thrust retraction altitude is 1500 feet above airport elevation. You may use the same altitude for accelleration but there are special requirements at many airports. Set the second value to the alt required and you will have V2+10 up that alt. ( ex 1600/3000) for an airport at 100feet elevation when there is a requirement for a rapid climb up to 3000ft.4. During takeoff roll - keep the nose down by setting forward pressure on the stick (half forward stick is recommended for the real A340). This is gradually reduced to neutral between 80 and 100kts. In FS keep the pressure up to V1 or the nose will lift to early and you will never get airborne./Stellan

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.