Sign in to follow this  
Guest UweR

How to increase engine spool up time?

Guest UweR

Hi all, I need to increase the engine spool up time of a few jets to improve automated flight behaviour (on most jets pitch changes need more time than the engines need to spool up, thus the aircraft often overshoot their FMS altitude constrains). How do I go about changing it, do I need to study air.file design?Best Regards, Uwe

Guest Deeks

If I'm not mistaken this is hard-coded into flightsim.

Guest Van

Hi Uwe,You will find a spool up rate scalar in the .air file. Just look for section 1501 (Engine FS2000 Turbine). If you need a good .air editor, then I suggest AirEd and it's available form several sim sites. You will want to match what ever changes you make in the .air file with your aircraft cfg fuel_flow_gain section. Normally these two numbers match.Regards,Van LatendresseYeoDesigns Panel/FDE Designer

Guest IanK

>Hi all, I need to increase the engine spool up time of a few >jets to improve automated flight behaviour (on most jets >pitch changes need more time than the engines need to spool >up, thus the aircraft often overshoot their FMS altitude >constrains). How do I go about changing it, do I need to >study air.file design? >>Best Regards, Uwe Spool up times are in rec 1505. See AirEd.iniat:http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/fsairfile.htmlOnly stuff like the helicopter are really hard coded.Ian

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Hi all, I need to increase the engine spool up time of a few >jets to improve automated flight behaviour (on most jets >pitch changes need more time than the engines need to spool >up, thus the aircraft often overshoot their FMS altitude >constrains). How do I go about changing it, do I need to >study air.file design? >Best Regards, Uwe Overall spool rate can be changed in aircraft.cfg: 'fuel_flow_gain=' (stupid name) 0.005 speeds it up relative to 0.002. However, making the spool up rate more sluggish will probably not improve the poor FS2K2 autopilot ALT hold. In fact, the SPD hold is already very sluggish, and what one needs is faster thrust response to keep SPD closer to what is set. FS2K2 also has an error in it's SPD control. MS messeses up all sorts of things and won't bother to fix them. Ron

Guest UweR

Hi, thanks for the input so far, I have downloaded the airfile editor and will try tomorrow what the changes are good for. Specifically my problem is the usage of Project Magenta